With plenty of rhinestones and Trojan condom wrappers, ASU’s sexual wellness group Devils in the Bedroom hosted a fashion show Friday to facilitate a discussion about safe sex. 

The event featured self-designed outfits made of expired condoms and a discussion about what makes a consensual sexual encounter. Sexual wellness peer educator Traci Ayub, a global health and psychology senior, said the event is a way to spice up sexual education.

“Sexual health teaching can often be very boring,” she said. “In high school, when the teacher would bring up sex ed, everyone would kind of groan and feel awkward, but the drag and condom fashion show offers an opportunity to form a conversation around sexuality and LGBT issues.”

The group emphasized the importance of watching for potentially faulty protection through the designs that only featured expired condoms, Ayub said.

“It’s really cool to note that these are all made out of expired condoms, so this is a very sustainable event,” she said. “And it’s great because it raises awareness that, yes, condoms expire, but they can still be used for other fun, creative purposes.”

Ayub said creating a fashion show with condoms is a creative experience for participants.

“I love seeing all of the outfits,” she said. “People are always so creative, especially when you think that these people from social justice groups, not fashion and design students.”

Devils in the Bedroom ultimately wants to make people feel comfortable talking about sex and sexual health, Ayub said.

“I hope more students get interested in sexual health issues,” she said. “I feel like this might the the first time some people may have heard words about sexual health, but, in this fun setting, they might be able to share their new knowledge with people they know.”

Psychology sophomore Aleasa Guerra, the vice president of I Always Get Consent!, said the event encouraged participation.

“I thought it was great that they had little participation prizes for the audience members who spoke up about sexual health,” she said. “It’s great to motivate people because often times people are embarrassed and shy away from talking about sex.”

The event’s lead planner, graphic information technology freshman Zach Bramwell, said condoms typically make people feel embarrassed despite their common use.

“There’s often a lot of stigma about condoms,” he said. “When (we’re) tabling for events, we offer free condoms, but so many people, when you say ‘condom,’ they turn away or they get really awkward or awkwardly ask for one. I mainly want to see more acceptance for condoms after this event.”

Bramwell said he thinks a condom fashion show makes them seem less awkward.

“I love getting to have fun with condoms,” he said. “Condoms are always talked about so seriously or not really ever talked about, but I think being able to make them into an entertaining thing is my favorite part (of this event).”

Discussing sex and condom use should be fun for everyone, Bramwell said.

“I was drawn to this event because I love having fun while talking about sex,” he said. “So often, it gets draining and people feel like it’s awkward, but I think it’s very important to have fun with sex because sex, in and of itself, is supposed to be a good time.”

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×