ASU hires Deana Garner Smith as senior associate athletic director and senior woman administrator

Sun Devils hire another person with NFL ties

Deana Garner Smith

(Photo Courtesy of Sun Devil Athletics)

Deana Garner Smith was hired as a senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator for Sun Devil Athletics, ASU athletic director and vice president for University athletics Ray Anderson announced in a statement Thursday.

Garner Smith was last with the National Football League, leading education on "domestic violence, sexual assault and gambling education, among other issues" while serving as the director of player security services and player engagement education.

In addition to her recent work with the NFL, Garner Smith has more than 15 years of experience in athletics administration at both the amateur and professional level. 

Garner Smith worked nearly 10 years with the NCAA from 1999 to 2008, serving as an associate director and agent for gambling and amateurism activities.

Anderson pointed out Garner Smith's unique experience in his statement Thursday.

“Deana brings a unique blend of experience and expertise to our administration,” Anderson said in his statement. “Her recent work centered on many of the social issues facing the NFL will be an invaluable asset in a collegiate setting and her time with the NCAA will allow her to make a seamless transition into the amateur realm. Not only will she help strengthen Sun Devil Athletics, but she will also serve as a great role model for all of our student-athletes.” 

Anderson also came from the NFL, serving as executive vice president for football operations before being hired as ASU's athletic director on Jan. 9, 2014.

Garner Smith helped orchestrate the NFL Domestic Violence Summit in addition to co-leading the NFL DUI summit, along with the NFL/MLB Sports Wagering Summit as part of her role with the NFL from 2012-15.

Garner Smith said the move to ASU allowed her to work on something she was passionate about.

“This step in my career is illustrative of two of my biggest passions in life: Positively impacting young people and helping enhance communities,” she said in her statement. “It was clear from the moment I stepped on campus that family values, a commitment to service and a drive to be excellent permeate throughout the department. I can’t wait to put on the maroon and gold and get to work.”

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×