ASU softball splits doubleheader with New Mexico State

The Sun Devils disappointed in game one, but dominated in game two.

Dale Ryndak-softball
Freshman Dale Ryndak closes out the seventh inning in win against California at Farrington Stadium in Tempe on Friday March 20, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Bears 8-7. (Jacob Stanek/ The State Press)

It was a tale of two games between the Sun Devils and Aggies on Monday.

Facing New Mexico State (31-12, 6-0 WAC) in the first of two early-week doubleheaders, ASU softball (25-12, 5-3 Pac-12) split the evening slate, losing game one before taking game two in resounding fashion.

ASU drops game one

Freshman Dale Ryndak (11-5) started in the circle for game one of the doubleheader, pitching four innings and taking the loss after giving up four hits and four runs before being relieved by freshman Breanna Macha.

In her first game since being drafted by the USSSA Pride with the No. 11 pick in the 2015 NPF Draft, senior catcher Amber Freeman delivered in the top of the first inning with an RBI single to right field to put ASU on top 1-0.

A powerful New Mexico State lineup had a response for the Sun Devils in the bottom of the frame, sending a solo shot to left off the bat of senior center fielder Staci Rodriguez.

After going down 1-2-3 on offense in the top of the second, ASU gave up another run to the Aggies on an RBI double by Staci's younger sister, freshman second baseman Rachel Rodriguez.

However, the Sun Devils would make up for a shaky start with two additional runs of their own in the fourth. Junior second baseman Nikki Girard advanced to third on a passed ball, scoring senior first baseman Bethany Kemp, and then Girard later scored on a fielder's choice.

The Rodriguez sisters struck again in the bottom of the fifth for the Aggies, as Staci stepped up to the plate and crushed her second solo home run of the day to tie the game at three apiece.

Junior Fiana Finau subbed in to pinch-hit later in the inning and notched an RBI single before Rachel Rodriguez (who else?) smacked a two-run single through the right side to put New Mexico State on top 6-3 entering the sixth.

But ASU has its own Rodriguez (Sierra), and the senior right fielder provided the offensive punch in the sixth on an RBI double down the right field line to bring the Sun Devils within two.

An opportunity for ASU to rally was also squandered in the sixth inning after Freeman lined into a double play that left three runners stranded on base.

In the seventh with two runners on and one out, Girard and junior Katee Aguirre went down in succession to end game one in disappointing fashion for the Sun Devils, as they fell 6-4.

ASU rebounds in second game

Game two told a far different story than the first, with the Sun Devils prevailing 12-1 in five innings.

The Sun Devils controlled this game from the very start, bringing home five runs from a bases loaded walk and a grand slam by senior third baseman Haley Steele soon after.

In the circle to start game two for ASU was Macha, who closed out the final two innings of the previous game. Macha pitched three innings, allowing six hits and one run before being relieved by junior Jenna Makis.

In the top of the second inning, it was more of the same in the batters box for ASU as Freeman sent a two-run home run to left and Steele continued her blistering play with a two-run shot to center. Steele had six RBIs in her first two at-bats of the game, both home runs, and ASU led 9-0 at that point.

In the bottom of the third, NMSU got its only run of the game on a solo homer by junior third baseman Emma Adams.

But the Sun Devils never looked back, scoring three more runs on a pair of RBI singles by Kemp and junior Abby Spiel as well as a bases-loaded walk that brought home Girard.

The victory evened the doubleheader between these two teams from neighboring states, and ASU will now move another state to the East to face UTEP Tuesday in El Paso, Texas. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 3 p.m. MT.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×