ASU students help children of cancer patients through Camp Kesem

ASU students are teaming up with Camp Kesem to serve as counselors to camp goers whose loved ones are suffering from cancer.

Camp Kesem

Camp Kesem graduating counselor class of 2014. (Photos courtesy of Diana Rayes)

As a previous camper, business public policy sophomore Kristi Becker's choice to volunteer at Camp Kesem ASU was a no-brainer because of the impact the camp had on her life as the child of a cancer patient. 

“My mom got cancer when I was 12, so I had to grow up really fast," she said. "By 15, I had to get a job so I could help pay for the medical bills. Camp Kesem was the place that felt like home for me. I was motivated by the counselors there to go to college.”

Becker, whose connection with Camp Kesem runs deep, said she even got the word "Kesem" tattooed on her, which means magic in Hebrew. She said her goal for camp this year is to make sure the campers have an amazing experience.

“At camp, I want the campers to be who they want to be and leave with great friendships,” Becker said. “I want to make an impact through my story and let them (campers) know that Kesem will always be there."

Becker and other ASU students are seeking to recognize and support “invisible victims” of cancer — children whose parents are fighting this disease.

For one week out of the summer, children are immersed in positivity and friendship at Camp Kesem, which started at Stanford University in 2000. College students lead the camp, where their passion and dedication reach far beyond just one week of camp.

Biochemistry sophomore Meriam Avades said her participation in Camp Kesem was fueled by her lack of knowledge about not only cancer patients, but the children also.

“When I found out about Camp Kesem, I quickly realized that I was part of the problem,” Avades said. “I often overlooked the children of cancer patients, did not recognize their needs. I knew then I wanted to go involved.”

Avades, who will serve as the Development Coordinator for Camp Kesem ASU this year, said being a counselor at the camp has been very eye-opening and shared her most humbling experiences.

“Empowerment Night is the only time during the week that the word 'cancer' is brought up,” she said. “The campers get to share their experiences with other campers and counselors. Getting to see their strength and bravery each of the campers possesses is humbling, especially considering their circumstances."

ASU students can still get involved with Camp Kesem ASU by participating in the Third Annual Caterpillar Classic sand volleyball tournament on Friday, April 24. All proceeds go to support the camp and those that can't afford to pay the entrance fees.

Marketing sophomore Lindsay Dusard said Empowerment Night was a truly amazing experience for not only the campers, but her personally.

“I would definitely say that the Empowerment Ceremony was by far the most humbling experience of camp,” Dusard said. “There is so much a person can hide with a smile. While you know what your campers are facing at home, it doesn’t really hit you until you hear them open up about it.”

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×