ASU track and field hosts track athletes from across the country in 36th Sun Angel Classic

Kyle Lillie- track and field

ASU senior Kyle Lillie throws the hammer on Friday March 20, 2015, at the Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe. Lillie placed seventh with a mark of 59.05 meters. 

ASU track and field will host the 36th Sun Angel Classic in Tempe on Friday and Saturday. The Sun Angel Classic is a unique event because it features not only collegiate athletes, but high school athletes as well. Over 61 high schools and 1,000 athletes from these high schools will be converging on Sun Angel Stadium for this event.

There will be collegiate competition at the track as well. Programs such as Texas A&M, Iowa State and Kansas State will be competing along with nearly 50 other institutions and schools.

The Sun Angel Classic starts Thursday afternoon with the high school athletes, while the collegiate athletes begin on Friday.

The only events taking place on Friday are the hammer throw events. Senior Jessika Byrd and freshman Maggie Ewen will be throwing in the women’s hammer section at noon (all times PT), while junior Ginger Jarchow and redshirt sophomore Ashley Weber will be throwing in the 1 p.m. open section.

Following the women on Friday will be the men’s hammer throw at 3 p.m. Redshirt seniors Ryan Leslie and Kyle Lillie will be joining redshirt sophomore Kyle Long in the premiere section.

Saturday begins on the field with the discus throw events beginning at 10 a.m. Jarchow will be throwing for the women and Long will join fellow redshirt sophomore Thomas Anderson and junior Ahmed Hassan in the men’s discus at 11:20 p.m.

At 1 p.m. is the women’s discus premiere section featuring senior Alex Hartig and Ewen.

Also at 1 p.m. are the triple jump events featuring junior Josh Dixon for the men and sophomore Keyasia Tibbs on the women’s side.

The track events begin at 2:58 p.m. with senior Cameron Taylor in the men’s 110-meter hurdles. Taylor is an All-American with one of the fastest times in the country this year in the event.

Senior Bryan McBride will be jumping for the men in the men’s high jump at 3 p.m. McBride is the national champion in the event and just missed the school record two weeks ago at the Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Invitational.

Out on the track at 3:28 p.m on Saturday is freshman Melese Crozier in the women’s 400 race.

Long comes back for the men’s shot put on the field at 6 p.m. and there is a break in the action before the women’s 4x100 relay starting at 6:22 p.m. Following the women’s relay, the men’s 4x100 relay team takes to the track at 6:28 p.m. headed by junior Jamol James.

At 7:30 p.m. are the shot put events with Ewen, Hartig and Weber throwing for the women and Anderson, Hassan and Lillie throwing for the men at approximately 8:15 p.m.

Around these same times on the track will be jasmine Gibbs in the women’s 100 premiere race at 7:33 and James in the men’s 100 premiere at 7:43 p.m. along with junior Ben Trotter.

At 7:59 p.m. is redshirt junior Ryan Herson the men’s mile premiere race followed by All-American senior Shelby Houlihan in the women’s 800 premiere race at 8:16 p.m.

Sophomore LaTroya Franklin is set to start in the women’s 200 dash premiere at 8:27 p.m., followed by the final two events, the men and women’s 4x400 relays.

Reach the reporter at tjwilkin@asu.edu or follow @Twilkins23 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×