Boos & Bravos: April 16

Boo to D.C.-based ESPN reporter Britt McHenry for being a bully, but bravo to the new "Star Wars" trailer.

An Evening with Laverne Cox
Award winning star of "Orange is the New Black", Laverne Cox addresses a crowd of over 2,000 as ASU's Undergraduate student government hosts "An Evening with Laverne Cox," Wednesday, April 8, 2015 in Tempe, AZ.

Boo to D.C.-based ESPN reporter Britt McHenry who was seen berating a female worker of a towing company by insulting her teeth, weight, job and lack of an education. ESPN promptly suspended McHenry for a week after the video surfaced Thursday, but would likely have been better served firing the reporter altogether. Among the nasty insults: "‘Cause they (the employee’s teeth) look so stunning … ‘Cause I’m on television and you’re in a f— ing trailer, honey.”

Bravo to Laverne Cox, who recently posed nude for Allure magazine. Cox originally declined to undress, but later changed her mind because she felt the photos "could be really powerful for the communities" she represents.

Boo to the ASU advisory notifications that have swarmed students' emails. Bees may have taken residence on all four campuses, but our emails and cell phones have been taken over by bee notices.

Bravo to the s'mores Frappucino that will be available for purchase beginning April 28. The drink, which is reminiscent of summers past, will bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like, "It's Starbucks time!"

Boo to the Arizona Legislature for apparently planning to create a $1 million gym in its basement. The subscription-based Arizona News Service Legislative Reports first reported this on Wednesday, but House Republicans denied it. They then confirmed that they're adding showers. Just as a reminder, your tuition's going up because the Legislature refused to fund higher education.

Bravo to Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton for flexing his executive order muscle to reinstate the umlauts — those little dots above words like über — to city-limit signs in the small town of Lindström. "America's Little Sweden" lost its revered dots after the 2010 U.S. Census.

Boo to the Arizona Republic's editorial: "You want $15 an hour? Get an education?" Gee, we would sure love to! Oh wait, Gov. Ducey just served a $99 million cut to public universities and Maricopa and Pima community colleges lost all of their funding. It's elitist to believe that everyone has the means to afford higher education. Those who can't afford higher education still have the right to earn a livable wage.

Bravo to the new "Star Wars" trailer. Has there ever been a movie as highly anticipated as "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," the new chapter of the classic George Lucas films? A new trailer was released online Thursday, prompting millions of "Star Wars" to celebrate over a single frame of Han Solo and Chewbacca appearing on screen together. Let's hope it actually turns out to be a good movie and not another Jar-Jar Binks-level failure.

Boo to the Food and Drug Administration for stripping Kind Fruit and Nut Bars of the "healthy" label that appears on several bars packaging. The rules that the FDA uses to define what makes a food "healthy" are outdated and fail to acknowledge the health benefits of nuts, instead focusing on the grams of saturated fat found in the bars. Kind bars are love; Kind bars are life.

Bravo to the NBA for implementing Human Growth Hormone testing beginning with the 2015-16 season. A first violation results in a 20-game suspension, a second is 45 games and a third is out of the league. MLB began testing HGH in 2013 and the NFL followed suit in 2014.

×