Chipotle Cultivate Festival and Twenty One Pilots bring life to Phoenix culinary and music scene

Chipotle’s Cultivate Festival

Jack Antonoff from the "Bleachers" perform at Chipotle’s Cultivate Festival on Saturday April 18, 2015 at WestWorld in Scottsdale. 

All was not quiet on the WestWorld front as performing artists, chefs and various vendors came together for Chipotle's Cultivate Festival.

All ages and pets were recognized. From furry friends with four legs to little humans, no one was left out. There was a kids section where children could play in hay, drink small smoothies and eat halved hot dogs.

Festival performers included DJ Christopher Golub, Jared & The Mill, Magic Man, MS MR, Bleachers and headliner, Twenty One Pilots.

The action really started to heat up in excitement and in degrees when MS MR took the stage. Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow are a strikingly powerful duo. With Plapinger’s bright orange hair and Hershenow’s enthusiastic dance moves, they were captivating from the start.

Hershenow announced the names and sometimes meanings of the band's tracks during its set and was all around very interactive with the crowd.

Although the sun was beating mercilessly, it was impossible to tell throughout the radiant performances of “Think Of You,” “How Does It Feel,” “Painted” and the fan-favorite “Hurricane.”

As the day continued, the crowd gained more traction for indie-pop band Bleachers. Frontman Jack Antonoff, member of fun., had a comfortable relationship with the crowd and even asked to borrow sunglasses from one of them.

It was a real treat to watch Antonoff and the saxophone player mirror each other in a short riff-off. The set included “Rollarcoaster,” “I Wanna Get Better,” “Wake Me” and “Shadow.”

The crowd just about tripled in size for Twenty One Pilot’s set. There was not a moment where fans were not screaming their lyrics at the top of their lungs.

Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun came out shirtless and ski-masked. The duo played its old hits “House of Gold” and “Car Radio” and the new, with “Fairly Local” and “Tear In My Heart.”

There was even a bit of “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled. At the end of the Khaled cover Joseph said, “I’m not really sure what that song is about.”

“Guns for Hands,” “The Run and Go” and “Holding On To You” prompted crowd interaction. The band asked audience members to find a partner and get on their shoulders. It was a performance without a single dull moment and a great motivator to purchase the group's new album “Blurryface," which will be released May 19.

Although the music performers heated up the day with their talented sets, chefs like Joshua Hebert and Charleen Badman, fired up the kitchen with some delicious dishes.

When it comes to kitchen shows, "Chopped" and "Top Chef" may be the most watched. Chipotle brought one celebrity from each, Richard Blais and Amanda Freitag.

Blais was humorous in his deliverance of ingredients. If you do not watch "Top Chef," an interesting fact about him is that his favorite ingredient is liquid nitrogen. He joked that the camera was not watching his competition grab for the pepper and salt. It was instead focused on him pouring the fog-like ingredient.

From cocktails to chicken, every type of food was presented to the audience. Even if someone wasn't a fan or knew of the talented cooks, they could appreciate the presentation and education in cooking.

Tabasco was a big sponsor at the event, and its sauces were used throughout cooking sessions. Next to the tent displayed the steps that go into making the spicy sauce. At the end, very tiny bottles of the Chipotle Verde, Jalapeño and the original sauce were given out.

Phoenix was fortunate to be one of three cities to host the festival.  

There's no doubt that Chipotle is amazingly tasty. However, it brought even more happiness to its customers on Saturday by providing a free event composed of skilled artists, both of music and cooking talent.

Tell reporters randrew3@asu.edu or at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu your favorite part of the festival or follow @ryanerica18 and @rachelandrewss on Twitter.

×