Raise your glass to P!nk, other female artists who are embracing their bodies

ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 176 LA
Kelly Clarkson performs at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Sunday, February 10, 2013. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

It's become a more inclusive time than ever for women to spread their talent in the music industry, yet men and even women are still making problems by commenting on the way female artists' bodies appear.

Just give me a reason why people find it necessary to make hateful comments toward the outstanding female artist P!nk after she went to a cancer benefit for her friend Dr. Maggie DiNome. Who knew people could be so hateful with their comments, but her response to the haters deserves a round of applause.

"I am perfectly fine, perfectly happy, and my healthy, voluptuous and crazy strong body is having some much deserved time off," P!nk said. "Thank you for your concern. Love, cheesecake."

Pretty pretty please, be one of the many fans who replied to her with positive remarks.  

Chris Wallace of Fox News thought he was Mr. Know-It-All when he made a comment about  Kelly Clarkson's weight.

"Stay off the deep dish pizza for a little while," Wallace said.

Female artists are not performing and living their lives to sexually please their audience. Clarkson has given birth to a beautiful baby and her accomplishments have not weighed down her success in the music industry. She does not need a reason to have a "sexy" body.

Next up, Lady Gaga. After the "Poker Face" singer posted a photo of herself wearing a nude colored swimsuit on Instagram in September, negative comments sparked all over the Internet. Her weight has been fluctuating depending on the style of music she releases.

"I'd rather be fat than shallow," Gaga said.

She was born this way and has a better body than the critics attacking her. Gaga prides herself on her body and has proudly shown it off throughout her career.

Nicki Minaj is another example and has been in the media for body image far too many times to count. On an Instagram post of her and Ariana Grande, users commented on the size of her waist and chest in an almost always negative way. They are either too big or not big enough.

If there are complaints that artists aren't looking sexy enough for the status quo, why is Minaj experiencing opposite backlash for showing "too much" skin? Grande fought the ugly comments said toward Minaj in the comments of the Instagram post.

"How about we respect people's body boundaries and encourage each other to feel like a babe no matter how they are?" she said.

Grande's reaction could come from her own problems with men commenting about her body. She has received insulting comments on her Instagram post regarding the size of her chest.

"My 9 year old sister has bigger tits then you," one Instagram user said.

Grande then responded asking him if he looked at his sister's boobs a lot. The comments toward these artists are not even grammatically or logically coherent for the most part.

It's not just men commenting on the weight of female bodies, but women as well. Former "The View" television show host Joy Behar commented on Jessica Simpson's weight gain after she had a baby.

"Most women who are pregnant are not supposed to gain more than 25 pounds," Behar said. "She looks like she gained a lot more than that."

Even now, it's hard enough for women in the world to decide to have a baby during their successful career. Men aren't being criticized during the time they change after becoming a father.

Simpson most likely gained a lot more weight because eyes are on her and how she's going to handle a baby and career.

Why do we constantly tear down other people? If everyone stopped sending negative comments and send love to those that bring us joy with music, the world just might be a better place.

Stop sexualizing women in the media. Compliment one another. Make it a point to open your mind to other people's preferences of their body and lifestyle while living the one you want to as well.

Next time there's an urge to send a discouraging comment toward someone of their body, stop. Wait a minute, fill their comment box and put a nice compliment in it instead.

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×