Second-year players gaining confidence at spring football practices

Kalen Ballage rushed for three touchdowns and Demario Richard caught a pair.

Jamal Scott-football practice
Redshirt freshman linebacker Jamal Scott (16) participates in drills during practice at the Kajikawa Football Practice Field on March 31, 2015. (Daniel Kwon | The State Press)

Sophomores had a big day Saturday, and have been making a big impact overall at spring practice for ASU football.

Quite a bit has been said about the young running back tandem and Saturday was no exception. In one of the first drives, Demario Richard peeled away and caught a pass off a wheel route. He took off downfield, and if the coaches hadn’t blown the whistle, he would’ve taken it all the way.

Late in the practice, he caught a pass on another wheel route and scored again.

Kalen Ballage had three rushing touchdowns. Two were up the middle and one came on a on a drive to the left.

In addition, Ballage has been receiving time at the devilbacker position. He sacked a scrambling redshirt freshman Manny Wilkins and was constantly on the field.

“It’s tiring going offense, defense, special teams and you know never really coming off the field,” he said. “It’s tiring, but at the end of the day if they feel like I’m the best player to do those specific things, I want to be on the field.”

It’s much different than the beginning of the 2014 season, when the two running backs came in as 17-year-old freshmen. Both of them were behind then-junior running back D.J. Foster on the depth chart and it seemed like their time would be minimal.

Both Ballage and Richard made the most of their chances and they’ll see the brunt of the load from the backfield.

“Last year unfortunately I was hurt a lot,” he said. “Now that I’m healthy I’m able to just get out there and play.”

They aren’t the only second-year athletes who have played different than last year. Defensive back DeAndre Scott he’s trying to play like he has the experience of an older player.

“(You) can’t have a freshman year, so I’m thinking about the seniors and my team so I’m just trying to have a senior year every year,” he said.

Freshman quarterback Brady White was forced to scramble around the pocket. His line was holding up well, but coverage downfield was tight. He tried to force a pass into a receiver but didn’t lead his man enough.

Scott was there. He jumped in front of the ball and snagged it. He’s taking advantage of the inexperienced players and is trying to earn a role on the team.

“I really want to be out there,” he said. “Whatever I can do for my team to show that, I’m all in.”

Sophomore defensive back Chad Adams is making it difficult for him, though. A pass deflected off a helmet, flew into the hair, and came down around Adams. He leapt up and acrobatically snagged the ball with one hand.

Those two are trying to gain a position in spring practice, something sophomore linebacker DJ Calhoun has already experienced. One of the 2014 early enrollees, he shined during last year’s spring practices.

It helped him gain a role on the team. This year is different — he’s more confident physically and mentally.

“(Last year) I was a little nervous and everything,” he said. “I’m not scared of anybody but with the size difference, I wasn’t use to how it was in high school.

“Coming out this year I’m more comfortable.”

Calhoun is also getting comfortable with his new number. He donned the No. 3 jersey instead of his previous one, No. 4.

“I just got tired of wearing the same number as Demario (Richard),” he said, laughing. “(Having) to change jerseys on specials and everything, so you know, he’s him and I’m me.”

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×