Sun Devil Snapshot: Just Walk it Off

Walk-offs, the Territorial Cup, Bobby Hurley, spring football and more in the week for Sun Devil Athletics

ASU V Uof A Peevyhouse
Senior Jake Peevyhouse hits for a single up the middle in the bottom of the first inning against University of Arizona at Phoenix Municipal Stadium Saturday April 11, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 5-4. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

37-17 — Final score of the 2015 ASU football spring game Friday. The Maroon team (which donned anthracite "Desert Fuel" jerseys) won the game, but the big storyline was the play of the defense.

Video by Devin Conley | Multimedia Reporter

42-20 — Record, over two seasons, for new ASU men's basketball coach Bobby Hurley at Buffalo. Hurley, who was hired Thursday, recently led Buffalo to the 2015 NCAA Tournament. 

2 — Number of national championships won by Hurley, who led the Duke Blue Devils to the Final Four three times as a player in the early 1990s.

1 — Hurley's all-time ranking in career assists at the NCAA level, averaging 7.7 per game.

5 — Hurley's contract with ASU reportedly is worth $1.2 million per year over five years.

6,247 — Attendance at ASU baseball's game against Arizona Friday, the first time the Territorial Cup has been played at Phoenix Muni since the team moved there this spring. According to Sun Devil Athletics, it was the largest crowd at an ASU baseball game in over 30 years.

April 30, 2013 — The date of ASU senior outfielder Jake Peevyhouse's last home run (against Arizona) prior to hitting a go-ahead two-run blast against Arizona on Saturday.

5 — Number of walk-offs for ASU baseball this season after Peevyhouse's RBI single led ASU to a 5-4 win on Saturday. Peevyhouse joins Colby Woodmansee, Jordan Aboites, Brian Serven and Chris Beall with the honors.

11-5 — ASU baseball's record in one-run games this season.

2009 — The last time that ASU baseball swept Arizona in a three-game series. ASU will look for the sweep Monday night.

9 — Number of consecutive top-five finishes for ASU men's golf heading into the Pac-12 tournament.

1 — Number of tournament wins for ASU women's golf sophomore Monica Vaughn after her win at the PING/ASU Invitational Sunday. ASU finished tied for second place in a tough field. 

2-0 — ASU tennis' record against conference foes this past weekend after finishing off Washington on Sunday.

0-3 — ASU softball's record against No. 2 Oregon over this past weekend, the first time it's been swept all season in a three-game series. 

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×