Tempe Police: Man robs five Valley Target stores in three weeks

A 21-year-old Surprise man was arrested on suspicion of robbing five local Target stores.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 21-year-old Surprise man was arrested near 35th Avenue and Buckeye Road on April 17 on suspicion of felony theft, according to a police report.

In the three weeks between March 11 and April 2, the man robbed five Target stores in Tempe, Phoenix, Goodyear and Glendale, police reported.

Police stunned the man and arrested him shortly after he attempted a sixth theft at the Target on 1818 East Baseline Road, according to police.

A Target security officer, who saw surveillance video of two of the man's previous robberies, recognized the man because they attended high school together, police reported.

The man's strategy was to purchase a small, inexpensive item, then jump over the counter when the cash register opened and steal the money, which ranged from $300 to $992, according to the report.

In the man's final attempt, he purchased a blue Gatorade, then took several $20 bills, which, when added with the other robberies, exceeded $3000, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 23-year-old Apache Junction man was arrested April 25 on the 400 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of having an outstanding warrant, marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Police were alerted when the man tried to cross Fifth Street in traffic and then yelled at a taxi driver who had to stop to avoid hitting the man, according to the report.

Officers found a glass pipe and some marijuana when they searched the man, police reported.

He claimed to have an expired medical marijuana card that was not on him at the time, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Ben Margiott.

Reach the reporter at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow @BenMargiott on Twitter.

×