Tempe Police: Man tells officers he is trying to quit meth, despite possession

A 26-year-old Tempe man was found with meth in his possession, but told officers he was trying to quit.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday: 

A 26-year-old Tempe man was arrested April 2 at East University Drive and South Smith Road on suspicion of drug paraphernalia and dangerous drug possession, according to a police report. 

Officers first contacted the man after people saw him making a dangerous turn onto University Drive from River Drive, police reported. They learned the man was driving on a suspended license, according to the report. 

Officers searched the man on his person, police said. During the search, the man alerted officers that he had meth in his front pocket, according to the report. 

The man admitted to officers he was trying to quit doing meth, but that “it takes time,” police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the police report. 

A 23-year-old Chandler man was arrested April 2 at the 1800 block of North Scottsdale Road on suspicion of narcotic drug, marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report. 

Officers were called to the scene at a Food City Supermarket after witnesses observed the man shooting something in his arm while parked in the parking lot, police reported. Police then confronted the man while he attempted to inject a needle into his forearm in a running car, according to the report. 

The man was detained for a DUI investigation while officers performed a search of his vehicle, police said. Officers uncovered marijuana, a needle containing a dark substance and a glass pipe with burnt residue during the search, according to the report. 

The man transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the police report. 

Reports compiled by Jessica Suerth. 

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×