Tempe Police: Two men steal from department stores, found in possession of illegal drugs

Searches revealed that the men had stolen from Walmart and Target while carrying meth and heroin

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 57-year-old Tempe man was arrested April 5 on the 800 block of East Southern Avenue on suspicion of having two outstanding warrants and drug paraphernalia and dangerous drugs possession, according to a police report.

Prior to arrest, the man had shoplifted six miscellaneous items –– totaling $40.08 in value –– from Wal-Mart with a black shoulder bag, police reported.

After watching the man walk past all points of sale and make no attempt to pay for his items, a Wal-Mart loss prevention employee escorted the man to an in-store office and contacted police, according to the report.

During an interview, the man admitted to shoplifting and a warrants check confirmed two outstanding warrants under his name, police reported.

Police searched the man’s black bag and discovered a clear glass pipe and a usable quantity of methamphetamine, according to the report.

The man confirmed the drugs and paraphernalia were his and that he had smoked from the pipe earlier that day, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 44-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Feb. 3 on the 1800 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of shoplifting and narcotic drug and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Target loss prevention employees observed the man selected $23.97 worth of merchandise and exit the store without any attempt to purchase the items, police reported.

Prior to police arrival, the employees discovered a black case in the man’s front right pants pocket, which held four empty and capped syringes, a silver spoon and three bags filled with cotton and a brown, heroin-like substance, according to the report.

During an interview, the man admitted to possessing the drug paraphernalia, though he denied that the brown substance was an illegal drug, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released on pending drug charges, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante.

×