Tempe Police: Woman takes mushrooms, forgets about the rest in her bag

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 19-year-old Tempe woman was arrested April 4 on the 320 block of East Veterans Way on suspicion of dangerous drug possession, according to a police report.

The on-site security guard at the University House had been performing bag checks to make sure no glass got into the pool when the woman attempted to enter the area, police reported.

The guard found two bags of mushrooms in the woman’s bag while searching it, according to the report.

During an interview, the woman said the mushrooms were hers, but that she had forgotten they were in her bag at the time of inspection, police reported. 

The woman admitted to purchasing the mushrooms from a drug dealer whom she had met through a friend and to consuming mushrooms prior to the incident, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and released pending drug charges, police reported.

A 50-year-old Mesa man was arrested April 4 at Broadway Road and Mill Avenue on suspicion of committing a hit and run and driving while intoxicated, according to a police report.

The man's car collided with another car while traveling southbound on Mill Avenue, according to the report. The man fled the scene on foot before returning 15 minutes later, police reported.

Officers noticed the man’s distinct odor of alcohol and bloodshot, watery eyes before testing him for a DUI, according to the report.

During the test, the man repeatedly told officers, “I’m drunk. Arrest me,” police reported. 

The man said he ran from the crash because he was scared, but returned because he felt bad, according to the report.

Multiple witnesses positively identified the man as the driver who caused the crash, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Aimee Plante.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante.

×