What are the top tracks of Summer 2015?

Walk the Moon
Walk the Moon performs a free performance in Phoenix, Arizona at the Pepsi Hyped for Halftime Stage on Friday, Jan. 30. The group performed for the hype of the Super Bowl XLIX. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press).

As trips to the lake are planned and drinks are poured, the same few songs of the summer play in the background of our yearly warm-weathered escapades. In 2010, Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” was played until we were dizzy, brainwashed into thinking “nothing comes close to the golden coast.”

Although it was released that September, all we heard the next summer was Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe.” Corny girls everywhere had a short and sweet message to write near their phone number at those summertime parties.

Last year, Iggy Azalea was “Fancy,” and Ed Sheeran blessed the airwaves with “Sing.”

Now in 2015, what tunes will we hear incessantly until the fall air sets in? A few have already begun to play on the radio, and we’re guessing they’re here to stay. A few more are hardly heard, but will gain momentum overnight, as most summer singles famously do. What will be on the radio in the next few months? Here are some predictions.

1. Jepsen's new single, “I Really Like You,” was released on March 2. Although it’s been out for awhile, it’s sure to blow up this summer, if not only for the sake of a new guilty pleasure. If that isn’t reason enough, the fact that Tom Hanks (yes, the almighty Tom Hanks) lip-syncs the entire tune in the music video should get you watching.  

2. “Uptown Funk” is on all the time.  Radios play it, we stream it and we've bought it on iTunes. However, considering Bruno Mars doesn’t have a planned album release coming anytime soon, this single is here to stay through the warmer months, because it really isn’t summer without Bruno, is it?

3. For you country fans out there, Sam Hunt’s “Single For The Summer,” could potentially make a splash (cue the diehard Sam Hunt fangirls saying they’ve already known about that song since the album was released in October). The new country heartthrob sings, “Blame it on the bikinis, party girls, and martinis and the sunshine,” to defend his need to be single for the season. No need to worry, Sam, we are all right there with you.

4. You may have heard Tove Lo singing on radio hits such as "Habits" and Alesso's "Heroes," but her new track, “Talking Body”, might just be the single of the summer.  It was released Jan. 13, and received some attention, but hasn't been played on the radio as much as her other hits. However, it’s currently ranked 24 on the Billboard Top 100 and is sure to climb to a top spot in the warmer months. Go ahead and blast it this summer while driving down the road, sunglasses on.

5.“Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon was released way back in September, but truth be told, I don’t remember it being played too much then.  Now, it's No. 9 on the Billboard Top 100.  It will soon earn a top spot, becoming our cheesy dance anthem of summer 2015.

6. Nicki Minaj and Beyonce released “Feeling Myself” in late 2014. For the names alone, it’s a wonder why it didn’t chart high right off the bat. It is climbing, moving up five spaces this week. On account of a powerhouse duo, we will hear this track throughout the summer.

7. “Smoke” by A Thousand Horses will top the country charts this summer, as it builds momentum passing its current rank of 69. A feel-good country track like this one belongs with the season.

Comments? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×