Summer reading: James Patterson and Stephen King to release new thrillers

(Photo courtesy of Hachette Book Group)

(Photo courtesy of Hachette Book Group)

Summer vacation is a time of rejuvenation and recharge after a tedious semester of tasks. Although much of our time will be spent on activities and adventures (or more realistically, hours of Netflix), the summer is a great time to catch up on some reading.

Laying out to tan, snuggled on the couch or on a commute to a new place will be a fantastic opportunity for you to crack the spine or swipe through a brand new book. With the absence of classwork, we now have ample opportunity to read recreationally for once.

Here are just a few books hitting the shelves and your e-reader this summer.  Whether it be a lighthearted tale or a dense thriller, your mind will be exercised this summer nonetheless by these five novels.

1.“Hope to Die” and “Maximum Ride Forever” are both hitting the shelves on the week of May 18. Both are by James Patterson, who has been coined “the world’s No. 1 bestselling writer,” a title which is adorned on the cover of “Hope To Die.” Both are part of two fairly long separate series created by Patterson. Starting one of these mysteries could fill up your summer quite nicely.

2.“You Deserve a Drink,” written by Mamrie Hart, is based on her YouTube channel of the same name. It explores Hart’s adventures and escapades while under the influence. What could be more fun and fitting for summer?

3.“Finders Keepers” is yet another Stephen King novel that will be released the week of June 1. Although the author's name alone may have you hooked, this novel is shaping up to not be a disappointment, as it dives into obsession and suspense.

4. Aziz Ansari is releasing “Modern Romance” in late summer that will explore the modern-day notion of romance and how it has come to change with the escalation of technology. Ansari teamed up with a New York University sociologist and began a research project that was conducted all over the world. Their findings, as well as Ansari’s hilarious humor and distinct voice, are all in the novel for our enjoyment.

5.Although it isn’t a new release, John Green’s “Paper Towns” is hitting theaters July 24, so get started on the book now.  It follows young Quentin as he finds clues that will hopefully lead him to the missing Margo, a girl he has admired from afar. The book has received rave reviews, and if its storyline is as intense as “The Fault In Our Stars,” I’m sure the movie won’t disappoint either.

Planning on reading any of these this summer? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×