ASU Football: Bercovici, Foster, Simone headline captains for 2015 season

Carrington, Kelly, Moeakiola, Gonzalez, Scott named co- and special teams captains.

ASU SPRING GAME BERCO pre snap SPRING GAME BERCO pre snap
Senior Mike Bercovici looks over to his reciever before he snaps the ball during the Spring game Friday April 10, 2015 in Tempe. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

ASU football named its captains for the upcoming season Tuesday morning, naming quarterback Mike Bercovici, wide receiver D.J. Foster and safety Jordan Simone.

Captains were selected by a team vote which occurred after spring football practices last month.

Bercovici is entering his first year as full time starter after filling in for Taylor Kelly for several games last season.

Foster, a big contributor to the ASU offense for the past two seasons, is transitioning from running back to wide receiver for his senior season in Tempe.

Simone, a first-year starter in 2014, becomes one of the defense's veteran leaders after safety Damarious Randall was selected in the first round of this year's NFL draft.

The team also selected three co-captains: cornerback Lloyd Carrington, center Nick Kelly and linebacker Laiu Moeakiola.

For the first time in his tenure at ASU head coach Todd Graham also asked his team to select special teams captains. Placekicker Zane Gonzalez, who was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza award last year, and defensive back DeAndre Scott, were selected to that position.

Scott, a sophomore, is the youngest of all the named captains, all the rest of which were juniors, seniors or graduate students.

Reach the assistant sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow @ICBeck21 on Twitter.

×