ASU softball's Amber Freeman named to NFCA All-American team

This is Freeman's third time receiving the honor

Amber Freeman

In the third inning against Boise State, senior Amber Freeman hit her fourth home run of the season. She was greeted by her Sun Devil teammates at home plate in celebration at Farrington Stadium on Feb. 20, 2015, in Tempe.

ASU softball senior Amber Freeman was one of 55 Division I softball players named to the NFCA All-American team Wednesday, according to Sun Devil Athletics.

Freeman earned first team honors for the second time in her career, and was named to the All-American team for the third consecutive time after earning second team honors in 2014.

Freeman was slotted into the first team as its designated player position, as she also split time at catcher with sophomore Sashel Palacios.

The departing senior led the Sun Devils in batting average (.436) and home runs (15) in 2015, boosting her status as one of the best hitters in school history.

Her .436 batting average this past season stands as the fifth-highest single-season batting average in program history. She is also third all-time in batting average at ASU for her career, posting an average of .389.

She is also in the top five all-time for ASU in home runs (56), RBI (197), hits (267) and doubles (46).

Freeman, a three-time All-Pac-12 First Team selection, is the 40th Sun Devil selection all-time to the NFCA All-American team.

Freeman also signed her first pro contract Wednesday with the USSSA Pride, who selected her No. 11 overall in the NFP Draft earlier this year.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×