Former ASU wide receiver Derek Hagan helps launch 120 Sports internship program

Hagan is the first to join new partnership between NFLPA, 120 Sports

Derek Hagan

Former ASU wide receiver Derek Hagan sits in the 120 Sports studio in this Monday, May 18, 2015 handout photo. (Photo courtesy of 120 Sports)

Former ASU football wide receiver Derek Hagan will help to launch a new internship program with media company 120 Sports to give sports journalism opportunities to current and former NFL players.

Hagan will be the first of six current and former players to be part of the internship this summer, which was created by a partnership between 120 Sports and the NFL Players Association.

The former Sun Devil was first approached by the NFLPA to lead the new internship.

"When I first heard about it, I just couldn't pass up this opportunity," Hagan said. "Broadcasting, being on camera and all that stuff is something that I'm very interested in and definitely trying to pursue once my career is over."

The internship will provide three tracks for athletes: on-air analyst, content creation and overall production. Hagan will pursue the on-air analyst track this summer, working on his on-air skills while interviewing guests, 120 Sports on-air talent and current and fellow teammates along the way.

Hagan said that his previous interactions with the media have influenced him to want to be on camera.

"Being an athlete, we're always around media," Hagan said. "I've always been the guy that's been interviewed. Now I want to take a different look at media and try to learn that aspect of it. 

"Being in sports for so long, you always have a spotlight, people always want to know what's going on in the lives of athletes and I think it's great to just try to make that transition."

Hagan, who is currently a free agent, was most recently with the Tennessee Titans in 2014, finishing with 19 catches for 254 yards and one touchdown.

"If I'm with a team or not with a team, I'm always trying to keep myself busy," Hagan said. "I have other interests. Network television is something I'm interested in."

120 Sports, which launched in June 2014 under the guidance of Time Inc., Major League Baseball Advanced Media and Silver Chalice, is an app that provides 24-hour streaming video on all mobile devices for free.

Along with a strong presence on social media that is backed by fellow Time Inc. company Sports Illustrated, 120 Sports prioritizes itself on quick videos and social media responses as opposed to longer, written pieces from traditional outlets.

"This is totally different," Hagan said. "I did a tour of the building (Monday) and just being in the green room and being in the studio, it's just a different feel. Most of the time at the different networks you show up in a suit and tie, and (Monday) I had jeans on, a collared t-shirt and some Chuck Taylors...you can tell how everybody's really engaged."

120 Sports prioritizes its coverage on social media, using quick videos and tweets to get their point across differently than traditional news outlets.

Hagan embraces social media, saying he often relies on Twitter for his up-to-date sports news.

The former ASU wide receiver admitted he didn't know much about the company, which was launched less than a year ago.

"Before I had no clue," he said with a chuckle. "They're a new network that's only been around less than a year, so for me, they're an up-and-coming network. I'm trying to break into the network myself, and they're growing, so this partnership is trying to get their network more exposure and get more guys into the business."

Athletes and the media have a unique, co-dependent relationship, Hagan said.

"The media helps us, and we also help the media," Hagan said. "It's a win-win situation for both of us just because we're both trying to gain the same thing. Networks try to get their ratings, and some athletes are just trying to boost their Twitter followers, Instagram followers, things like that."

Hagan said the 120 Sports model could be replicated to reflect national and local audiences, such as ASU.

With so many outlets, Hagan said sports are being covered like never before.

"There's just so many outlets," Hagan said. "Obviously, there's Twitter, there's Instagram, there's Facebook and most of the time now, when I'm not watching TV I'm on my phone. Now everything can be shared with your mobile device and that's where I get most of my updates."

The role of social media has transformed sports coverage, Hagan said.

"About 10 years ago, there was no Twitter, there was no Instagram," he said. "Now, it's steadily evolving. The internet is involved now, and constantly evolving so who knows what's going to happen in the next five, 10 years with the way that sports are covered."

The summer internship will be a learning experience for Hagan.

"It's just learning," he said. "I wasn't a broadcast journalism major, so I took a different route and also was an athlete, so this a totally different area."

Hagan is one of the most decorated receivers in ASU history, having played from 2002-05 in Tempe. He finished as the then-Pac-10's all-time leader in career receptions with 258, and is second in conference with 3,939 career receiving yards. 

The 6-foot-2 Palmdale, California, native also tallied 27 touchdown catches in 50 career games in college.

Hagan said he expects to retain his Sun Devil pride while on the air.

"I will definitely throw up a 'Forks Up' sign, that's for sure," Hagan said. "Once a Sun Devil, always a Sun Devil."

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×