Dad bods have been getting a lot of attention lately and who doesn't love a decent dad joke? Adding 'dad' in front of anything sort of parodies any subject it's trying to describe but it doesn't make it any less endearing. That especially applies to dad rock. 

If your father was born in America any time between 1940 and 1975, he'll probably remember rocking out to some of these tunes in his parent's basement. 

For this Father's Day, do something nice for your old man and bond over one of these rad tracks. 

1.) Free Bird by Lynyrd Sknyrd 

You might have the type of dad who yells, "FREEEEBIIRRRRDDDDD!!!" at every concert you bring him to, even at a Pop Punk show. Can you really blame him though? Free Bird is a summer concert staple even though it's nearly 40-years-old. 

2.) Cats In The Cradle by Harry Chapin 

Maybe your dad really misses you. Maybe he regrets not spending enough time with you when you were young enough to still think he's Superman. You might resent him for missing too many baseball games for a business trips but that was more than ten years ago.  You should give him a call. 

3.) Band On The Run by Wings 

Wing was dad rock before the term even existed. With their cheesy lyrics and over use of synthesizers, it's like Paul McCartney wanted his songs to be featured on a dad rock playlist some day. This doesn't mean we love them any less of course. It's cheesy, but what's wrong with that? I'd like to know

4.) Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel

This song proves that dad rock can really be cool. You know it's a big deal when you've got Elvis Presley wanting to cover it. 

Maybe your Dad is a Rock 'n' Roll purist. That's cool, who doesn't love a little Elvis? 

6.) We Will Rock You by Queen

Does this even need to be explained? Basically any stadium rock song belongs on this playlist.

7.) For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield

Every documentary about the 1960s features this song at some point. After all, its THE protest song. Your dad my not have partaken in hippie culture but this this song is still essential to any dad rock playlist. 

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow  @kelciegrega on Twitter. 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×