ASU baseball's Darin Gillies drafted by Seattle Mariners

ASU senior Darin Gillies pitches to Oklahoma State, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015, at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The Sun Devils lost to the Cowboys 9-8. (Krista Tillman/The State Press).

ASU baseball senior Darin Gillies became the fifth Sun Devil pitcher drafted in the 2015 MLB draft after being selected by the Seattle Mariners in the 10th round on Tuesday.

In 84 career appearances (28 starts), Gillies was 9-16 with a 4.62 ERA. He began the year in the starting rotation, but moved to the bullpen after three starts. In 49.1 innings, Gillies was 3-6 with a 3.83 ERA in his last season as a Sun Devil, striking out 58 and walking 21.

The other ASU baseball players taken in the draft so far are Brett Lilek, who was taken in the second round by the Miami Marlins, Ryan Burr and Ryan Kellogg, chosen in the fifth round by the Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago Cubs, respectively, in addition to David Graybill in the ninth (San Francisco Giants). 

Wednesday marks the third and final day of the MLB draft, which consists of rounds 11-40. 

Reach the reporter at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

×