ASU women's basketball announces 2015-16 non-conference schedule

Will face five NCAA Tournament teams

Head coach Charli Turner Thorne directs the women's Sun Devil basketball team during a home game in Tempe against California. ASU came back from an early 8 point deficit to win 68-59. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Fresh off a Sweet 16 berth in the 2015 NCAA Tournament, the Sun Devils are back for more.

The ASU women's basketball team announced their 2015-16 non-conference schedule Tuesday, which includes five teams that made the NCAA Tournament last season.

“Our program has set a standard over the years of playing a challenging non-conference schedule that not only gets us prepared for Pac-12 play, but also gives our fans the opportunity to see the kind of top-level, non-conference matchups that often occur in the month of March,” ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne, said in a statement. “In one year we have gone from a being young team to a veteran squad that features great experience and a lot of core returners and so I think this will be the perfect schedule for them.”

The slate will begin in ASU's season opener against Kentucky at Wells Fargo Arena on Nov. 15. The Sun Devils will be facing the Wildcats, who have made the NCAA Tournament in each of the last six seasons, for the first time.

ASU will also travel to Hawaii during Thanksgiving weekend to take part in a three-game tournament highlighted by a matchup with South Carolina. The Gamecocks made it all the way to the Final Four before being eliminated by Notre Dame in the NCAA Tournament last season.

The Sun Devils will also get a Sweet 16 rematch against Florida State in Tempe on Dec. 16.

ASU returns everyone from its Sweet 16 roster with the exception of guard Promise Amukamara, whom the Phoenix Mercury selected in the third round of the 2015 WNBA Draft.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15.

×