Tempe Police: Convicted felon drinks beer in car while concealing gun

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 31-year-old Guadalupe man was arrested May 30 at the intersection of 48th Street and Guadalupe Road on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and consuming liquor in a vehicle, according to a police report.

Officers observed a 1999 GMC Yukon driving south on 48th Street from Baseline Road with the front windows open and two male occupants inside, police reported.

The driver appeared to be drinking from a blue container that appeared to be a can of Bud Light, according to the report.

The driver failed to make a complete stop at two stop signs, had brake lights that were not properly functioning and a mandatory insurance suspended license plate, police reported.

Officers ordered the man to pull over and noticed an open can of Bud Light and two unopened cans in the backseat of the vehicle, according to the report.

Both occupants denied having any weapons, but officers located a Ruger .357 Magnum rolled up inside a man’s shirt and ammunition inside a black backpack, police reported.

The firearm appeared to be fully functioning with all parts, according to the report.

During an interview, the man revealed that he is a convicted felon from an aggravated DUI arm for which he was sentenced to prison and is not permitted to have a gun, police reported.

The man said he had been staying with his girlfriend in Mesa until his probation paperwork was finished, and the contents in his backpack were primarily toiletries, according to the report.

Officers also discovered probation paperwork in the bag, and the man said that he was on his way to a friend who would help him complete them at the time of arrest, police reported.

The other man also admitted to being a convicted felon for cruelty to children, according to the report.

A Tempe Police Dispatch confirmed the men’s felonies and their criminal histories were reviewed by investigating where both felonies were located, police reported.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report. 

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×