Tempe Police: Man tags ‘Risky’ on city dumpster, gets caught blue-handed

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incident Monday:

A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested May 30 on the 420 block of West 9th Street on suspicion of tagging public property and marijuana/paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

The man used silver spray paint to paint various letters on a black dumpster belonging to City of Tempe, police reported.

A witness said the man had been walking on 9th Street when he passed the dumpster, turned around and began writing on the dumpster, according to the report.

After the man finished tagging, the witness called Tempe Police while following the man down the road, police reported.

Police soon approached and arrested the man, who immediately admitted to writing the word “risky” on the dumpster, according to the report.

The man’s hands appeared to be covered in blue paint and there were three spray paint cans in colors Satin Oasis Blue, Satin Dark Walnut and an unmarked silver paint can, police reported.

The man said he had painted “risky on both the dumpster and a bedframe, according to the report.

During an interview, the man also admitted to possessing a small amount of marijuana and a glass pipe in his front right pocket, police reported.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report. 

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×