Sun Devil Hockey to play first NCAA home game vs. UConn

New match up announced for Jan. 5, 2016

ASU's Ryan Belonger (22), Faiz Khan and David Norris celebrate the Sun Devils' first ASU goal of the evening on Jan. 22, 2015, at Oceanside Arena in Tempe.

Sun Devil Hockey announced Thursday that they will add a match up against NCAA opponents UConn to their 2015-16 schedule.

The game will be the first NCAA home game in ASU hockey history, and the first NCAA hockey game in the state of Arizona since NAU stopped sponsoring NCAA hockey in 1985.

“This is a great opportunity for our young team to gain valuable experience against a very good Hockey East program like UConn,” head coach Greg Powers said in a statement. “Equally as important, this gives our fans another opportunity to see NCAA Division I Hockey here in the Valley.”

ASU will face the Huskies on Jan. 5, one week before the Huskies, along with Michigan Tech and Yale, travel to Arizona for the inaugural Desert Hockey Classic.

“That entire week, ending with the Desert Hockey Classic, will be a tremendous and pre-emptive look into the brand of hockey our fans and season-ticket holders will get every home weekend starting in 2016-17,” Powers said.

January's added matchup will make it three times that ASU will face UConn during the 2015-16 season. They will travel to Hartford, Conn. in UConn's home opener on Oct. 16 and will host the Huskies in the Desert Hockey Classic.

UConn went 10-19-7 last season in the Hockey East Association at the NCAA level.

The Sun Devils announced that they will be added NCAA men's ice hockey in November. ASU won made it to the club ACHA semifinals in 2015 after winning the 2014 ACHA national championships.

ASU will play a hybrid schedule free of conference affiliation for the 2015-16 season before gaining full membership in 2016-17.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×