Tempe Police: Man attacks officer, grabs gun, testicles

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A Laveen man was arrested May 24 on the 400 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of assault, aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, according to a police report.

The man was originally contacted by an event management security guard who was escorting him out of the building, police reported. The man then got into a physical altercation with the security guard, leaving him with scratches on his legs and arms as well as torn clothing, according to the report.

The man was then contacted by two Tempe officers who attempted to detain him, police reported. He resisted by slipping his restraints and then punching one of the officers, police reported.

As an officer tried to take the man to the ground, the man reached for and grabbed the officer’s holstered gun, according to the report.

After his hand was removed from the gun, he grabbed onto the officer’s shorts, police reported. He then grabbed and squeezed the officer’s testicles until the officer delivered two punches to his face, according to the report.

The man was taken to the ground where he continued to resist until he was detained in handcuffs, police reported.

The altercation occurred during a busy event on Mill Avenue where many witnessed the reported assault, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 37-year-old Tempe woman was arrested May 17 on the 2300 block of East University Drive on suspicion of disorderly conduct and aggravated DUI, driving while intoxicated with a passenger under 15, according to a police report.

The woman engaged in a disruptive verbal altercation with multiple family member while at her home, police reported.

According to other subjects involved her behavior was seriously disruptive and unprovoked, according to the report.
After officers were called the woman attempted to flee the scene in her vehicle, police reported. 

The caller advised that the woman was intoxicated and had been drinking, according to the report.

The officer activated his lights behind her and she drove about another half-mile before pulling over, according to the report.
The officer observed her swerving in her lane while driving and that she had her 12-year-old daughter in the front passenger seat with her, police reported.

The woman showed impairment when talking to the officer and she admitted she had take three shots before driving, according to the report.
Her daughter said that the woman had been drinking and that she had been on a “rager,” police reported.
The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.
Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.
Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×