Tempe Police: Man hides heroin in sock, complains of kidney stones

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 25-year-old man was arrested at South Hardy Drive and West First Street in Tempe on June 13 on suspicion of theft, criminal damage, possession of narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia, providing a false name to law enforcement and four Fugitive of Justice warrants, according to a police report.

Police caught the man riding westbound on a Cannondale bicycle he had stolen from the light rail platform on the 50 block of West Third Street by cutting it from the lock using “snippers,” police said.

After being detained, the man provided a false name and admitted to stealing the bike in order to sell it, according to the report.

A search of the man’s person was conducted and a usable quantity of heroin was located in his sock, along with a collection of drug paraphernalia in his backpack, police reported.

A record check later revealed that the man had four extraditable warrants, including one out of ASU for theft, two out of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office for possession of narcotics and one out of Glendale for shoplifting, Tempe Police Dispatch confirmed.

Following his detainment, the man began complaining of kidney stones and was transported to Tempe St. Luke’s hospital, and upon his discharge, was transferred to Tempe City Jail where he was booked and held for his warrants, police said.

A 33-year-old Tempe man was arrested June 13 at McDonald’s on the 1500 block of West Elliot Road in Tempe for possession of narcotic drugs, according to a police report.

Police received a suspicious person call from the Circle K across the street from McDonald’s and pursued the suspect into the establishment, where he was located in the women’s bathroom, locked in a stall, screaming unintelligibly and bleeding from one hand, police said.

The man followed police instruction and willingly stepped outside where he was sat on a curb to be questioned, but he was unable to keep still, flailing his arms and legs, the report said.

The man was mumbling answers in response to the investigation when he spontaneously shouted, “I use every drug but cocaine” and began to cry, police reported.

The man’s nose running continually and he was sweating profusely, police said.

Searches later revealed that the man was in possession of heroin and a used syringe, but officers were not able to understand any of the man’s answers regarding when he last used drugs, which drugs he used and how much, police reported. 

The man was then transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the police report.

Reach the reporter at icastil3@asu.edu or follow @isabella_m_cast on twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×