ASU football ranked 16th in preseason Amway Coaches Poll

Highest preseason ranking for ASU since 2008

Head coach Todd Graham leads the Sun Devils onto the field before the Sun Bowl against Duke, Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014 at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

The preseason polls are out, and it's almost time for college football season.

ASU football was ranked 16th in the preseason Amway Coaches Poll presented by USA Today on Thursday, marking their highest preseason ranking in the poll since 2008 (also 16th).

The Sun Devils, who are coming off of the second consecutive 10-win season, are the fourth-highest ranked Pac-12 school in the poll behind Oregon (5th), USC (10th) and UCLA (14th). Fellow Pac-12 schools Stanford (21st) and Arizona (22nd) also made the list, with Utah and Washington also receiving votes.

ASU was ranked 18th entering last season polls, with previous entries in 2008 (16th), 2005 (18th), 2003 (23rd), 1999 (25th) and 1998 (9th).

The Sun Devils will play four schools ranked in the preseason coaches poll.

ASU's season opener will come against Texas A&M at NRG Stadium in Houston, Tex. The Aggies, despite receiving 149 votes, went unranked in the preseason coaches poll. 

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×