Attorney: Former ASU football LB Davon Durant would like to continue his career

Head coach Todd Graham said Wednesday that Durant was 'done' at ASU

Football Breaking News

Former ASU football linebacker Davon Durant's attorney, Benjamin Taylor, told AZCentral in a statement Thursday that Durant would like to continue his career at ASU.

"Mr. Davon Durant is still a student and currently taking classes at Arizona State University,'' Taylor said in a statement. "He's taken responsibility and he would like to still remain a student and continue his career."

Durant's career at ASU appeared to be over after a Sports Illustrated report surfaced Wednesday that he had been dismissed from the program.

Durant denied that he had been dismissed from the program.

"False info I am not dismissed," Durant said on Twitter Wednesday.

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound former five-star prospect from Butler Community College (Kansas) had been suspended indefinitely from the football program and had been appealing his expulsion following a March 7 arrest for which he was charged with three counts of misdemeanor disorderly conduct and one count of felony aggravated assault.

One witness in the reported domestic violence incident said he saw a man slam the woman’s head into the dashboard of a vehicle twice, while another witness said he was in his apartment when he heard a woman scream, according to the police report.

He pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor disorderly conduct for the incident, and was sentenced to two years of supervised probation and domestic violence counseling.

Durant reportedly would have had to complete to counseling in order to re-apply to the University.

According to AZCentral, Durant is currently enrolled in summer courses at ASU.

Durant's legal team requested a "re-hearing," which allowed the linebacker to stay in school. (University records confirm Durant is enrolled in summer courses.) Maupin said the linebacker has started his domestic-violence training, but has not yet completed it.
A final decision from the "re-hearing" is expected soon, but it likely will not affect Durant's future with ASU football.

RELATED: ASU football reportedly dismisses linebacker Davon Durant

Head coach Todd Graham said in the Sports Illustrated article that Durant was "done" at ASU.

“He’s done,” Graham told SI.com of Durant. “We parted ways. He put himself in that position. It’s a bad deal, but you’ve got to have accountability. We don’t just talk about character and discipline. We live it. No matter what the legal system does, our standards are high and our guys know that. They know they’re going to be held accountable.”
Durant, a 6-foot-2, 240 pound junior college transfer from Butler Community College (Kansas) and an early spring enrollee, was the first five-star signee in Graham's tenure at ASU.
This is the first notable arrest for the Sun Devils since Graham took over in Dec. 2011. Since Durant's arrest, freshman defensive lineman George Lea was arrested for an incident regarding the illegal use of a "BB gun" on campus.
“If you make exceptions, you end up with a team full of exceptions,” Graham told SI.com. “We have not compromised and held true to what our beliefs are. So we have a really strong identity as a team because of that. That’s why we’ve got a great chance this season.”

According to a report from AZCentral, local civil-rights advocate Jarrett Maupin said Durant has started looking at another program to continue his football career.

Durant's arrest came just before ASU began its spring football practices. He enrolled in January as an early enrollee, but never step foot on the practice field for the Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×