Tempe Police: Man drives into motorcyclist, flees scene

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 24-year-old Tempe man was arrested June 19 on the 400 block of West 9th Street on suspicion of leaving the scene of an accident, fugitive from justice, driving with a suspended license and the possession and use of marijuana, according to a police report.

The man was driving his BMW west on Broadway Road and as he was making a turn, he collided with a motorcyclist traveling eastbound, police reported.

After the collision, the man fled the scene, not providing aid or his information to the motorcyclist, police reported.

The motorcyclist suffered serious physical injuries described as a degloving (when an irreplaceable amount of skin and tissue is lost) of his left hand, left calf and left thigh, according to the report. Doctors said that he would require numerous medical procedures and surgeries to possibly repair the injuries, according to the report.

After the man fled the scene he abandoned his car in a parking lot, police reported.

When it was located it had significant damage to the front driver side, including a missing headlight, according to the report.

There was also biological tissue of the victim stuck to the front driver side quarter panel which was consistent with the extend of his injuries, police reported.

The man later admitted in an interview that he was part of the crash and that he panicked after the collision and fled the scene, police reported.

During the search there was a bag of marijuana found on the man’s person and it was revealed that the man’s driving privileges were suspended due to court action, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×