Tempe Police: Man threatens officer with racial slur

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

A 20-year-old Tempe man was arrested on June 13 on the 500 block of South Allred Drive on suspicion of threats and intimidation, marijuana possession/use, possession of drug paraphernalia, and resisting arrest, according to a police report.

The man was originally contacted during a call for service regarding a suspicious vehicle at the location, police reported. When the officer arrived, he located the man and three other subjects that matched the description of the call, according to the report.

One of the women was under 18 and police had to conduct a follow-up investigation, police reported.

The man and one other subject were outside the car when he attempted to approach the vehicle where the girl was sitting, police reported.

The man’s voice elevated and his body because tense as he walked closer to the officer and told him he was not going to be doing the follow-up, according to the report.

The officer approached the car, the man was within one foot of him and the officer proceeded to push him back, police reported. The man then tensed up and began screaming, according to the report.

The officer attempted to detain the man by grabbing onto his right arm, but the man pulled away, police reported. He ran into his residence across the street and shouted a threat and a racial slur at the officer, police reported.

Other police officers arrived and tried to detain the man again and upon contact the man tensed up and passively resisted, clenching his arm to his chest, according to the report.

The man was placed under arrest and up search a clear bag of marijuana was found in the man’s back pocket, police reported.

When the officer asked why the man threatened him later the man said, that he “just flipped out” and apologized, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×