Tempe Police: Sex offender caught looking into residents' homes

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 40-year-old California man was arrested June 14 on the on the 1800 block of South Cutler Drive on suspicion of five counts of voyeurism, two counts of criminal trespass, false report to law enforcement, resisting arrest and failure to appear in court, according to a police report.

Officers contacted the man on a suspicious person call saying a person in all white looking through multiple resident’s windows and into their homes, police reported. The officer found the man and asked him for ID at which point the man gave the officer a false name and social security number, police reported.

The officer discovered it was a false identity because he ran a record check and found that there was no record of the name out of Arizona or California, according to the report.

The officer told the man it was against the law to give false information and the man denied that he was, according to the report.

The officer then attempted to place the man in handcuffs until he could be identified, police reported. The man then stood up and took off running from the scene delaying the investigation, according to the report.

The officer found the man hiding behind a wall of a bank on West Broadway Road, police reported.

The officer finally managed to place the man under arrest and found his read identification in his pocket, according to the report.

Running a record check, the officer found that the man was also a registered sex offender, police reported.

The man later said that he didn’t know anyone in the neighborhood and that he lives with his aunt in Phoenix, according to the report. Upon further investigation it was revealed that he also entered a fenced apartment complex with signs saying “Do Not Trespass,” police reported. A witness also came forward and said they actually saw the man looking through their window , according to the report.

The man waved his handgun toward her even though she didn’t verbally engage him, according to the report. Only after police arrived did the man comply and put down his gun, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×