Introvert's Advocate: Introduction

Introvert's Advocate: Introduction

If you ever have the opportunity to meet me, which I hope you do considering you’ve been kind enough to take time out of your day to read this column, you’ll probably realize fairly quickly that I’m an introvert.

More specifically, I tend to be reserved. I need time by myself to “recharge” after socializing and I tend to do a lot of my day-to-day activities on my own. Upon entering college, I knew my experiences at ASU were probably going to vary from my extroverted friends’.

People always say things like, “Oh you go to ASU? You must have some crazy stories!” When in reality, a lot of my weekends are spent with a few close friends, take-out Chinese food and “Gilmore Girls,” (I relate to Rory on a spiritual level.)

Not to bash those who do go out every weekend, I often find myself wishing I could truly be young, wild and free, but it’s just not the way I’m programmed. Actually, I’ve faced a few negative reactions to my introversion.

I’ve been questioned about my friendships and social life on numerous occasions. It’s usually just my friends checking up on me and making sure I’m just taking time for myself and not shutting them out due some sort of an emotional crisis. However, every now and then I’ll meet someone who is absolutely appalled that I don’t constantly immerse myself in social situations.

A tip for all of the extroverts out there who have introverted friends: don’t make anyone feel bad for not wanting to go out. I’ve had to distance myself from a few people who often made me feel like an inadequate friend because I didn’t want to put myself in an uncomfortable situation.

However, when I do go out, I have a great night about 90% of the time. It’s not to say that I never go outside my comfort zone or need to be at home to have fun. I believe it’s healthy to occasionally push yourself in order to grow as a person, but your happiness should always be a top priority.

So, my fellow college-age introverts, I hope you all know you’re not alone (unless you want to be). The typical college experience probably will not be our college experience, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be just as incredible.

About the Author: 

Savanah Yaghsezian, sophomore, is a journalism major at ASU. She likes dancing to Taylor Swift, crying to Taylor Swift, eating way too much pineapple pizza, reading underneath trees, watching nearly every available television show on Netflix, and finding ways to embrace her inner fashionista on a budget. She once ate an entire family-sized portion of mac and cheese by herself and it is her greatest accomplishment to date.

×