ASU football happy with running back development

The Sun Devils have ramped up reliance on their backfield in 2015.

CampTDay3-RichardBallage

ASU football sophomore running backs Demario Richard (4) and Kalen Ballage (9) run through ball security drills at Camp Tontozona practice on Aug. 14, 2015.

Following a down season for its running backs, the ASU football team seems to have found a stable force to regain its edge from 2013.

Following the departure of Marion Grice, ASU was left searching for a supplement to D.J. Foster. That role was initially held by Kalen Ballage, but was then given to Demario Richard towards the end of the season, following his 116-yard performance against Utah.

With a full season under the belts of both Ballage and Richard, the Sun Devils have put an emphasis on the rushing attack this season and running backs coach Bo Graham has seen those lead backs take another step forward during the offseason.

"I think Demario (Richard) and Kalen (Ballage), the guys who came on last year at the end, I think they continue to get better," Graham said, "I think they're physically further along."

Graham said that, as of right now, he feels confident in rotating five different running backs into the game after bringing six in last year. Having options with the backs at different positions on the field will allow not only for more playing time for individual players, but more flexibility with play calling, especially with Foster playing more at receiver this season.

One question mark, however, is freshman Jason Lewis, who was just cleared to begin practicing last week and did not play with pads until the team's trip to Camp Tontozona last week. Graham compared Lewis's situation to Richard being cleared late last season and said Lewis has been doing all he can to get caught up with the team, but it's difficult with the depth chart full of returners.

Despite his inexperience, Lewis did his best to impress at the end of Camp Tontozona, rushing for 89  yards on nine carries and breaking free for a 62-yard touchdown run. 

Graham said that it will take diligence and patience for Lewis to find his way into the running back rotation.

"You can't expect the guy to have a mastery of the offense when he's only been here about a week," Graham said. "Right now he's just absorbing knowledge, getting coached up by myself and the rest of the guys in the room."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×