ASU soccer prepares for season opener vs. Portland State

The Sun Devils will face the Vikings before taking on Beijing Normal University in an exhibition on Sunday.

Soccer UA
Teammates mob freshman defender Madison Stark after her goal during against UA on Friday, Nov. 7, 2014. Her strike early in the first half was the deciding goal in the match as the Sun Devils won 1-0.

Familiarity will be the theme for ASU soccer's matchup with Portland State on Friday.

The teams have never played one another but their head coaches have a connection that spans more than a decade. Portland State head coach Laura Schott played for ASU head coach Kevin Boyd from 1999-2002 when Boyd was the head coach at Cal.

Boyd said he's not surprised his former player is now a successful head coach.

"I'm very proud of her," Boyd said. "If I had any part in her becoming a coach, then I'm really happy about that."

Friday's game against the Vikings kicks off the 2015 season for the Sun Devils, one that will prove treacherous given the quality of opponents in the Pac-12 conference.

According to the preseason NSCAA rankings, six of ASU's opponents rank in the top 25, and four of them are part of the Pac-12.

Stanford (3), UCLA (4), Pepperdine (10), Texas Tech (15), California (18) and Washington (20) are all part of the gauntlet for the Sun Devil soccer squad this season.

Where ASU will shine as they drudge through a tough schedule will be on the front line. Senior Cali Farquharson, who ranks third all-time in career goals at ASU with 34, will play alongside sophomore Aly Moon in a variety of formations. Moon was a freshman sensation last season for the Sun Devils, contributing 10 goals and a team-high six assists.

In the defensive area, ASU boasts experience in and around the goal. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Chandler Morris is back below the crossbar, while senior defender McKenzie Berryhill provides the necessary tenacity and leadership on the pitch.

Having Morris back is great news, Coach Boyd said.

"It just gives us stability," Boyd said. "It allows us to have someone in there with a ton of experience."

Boyd also said his team is deeper all around than they've ever been.

"I think for our early season form we look pretty good right now," Boyd said. "We're gonna go one game at a time — that's our motto and philosophy."

Kickoff for ASU vs. Portland State is scheduled for Friday, August 21 at 7 p.m. in Tempe.

ASU soccer debuts new official adidas kits

ASU athletics finishes 30th in Directors' Cup, tied for worse ever

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×