After success of original north Scottsdale location, Fate Brewing Co. opens near Tempe with bigger barrels of beer

Fate Brewing 1

The exterior of Fate Brewing Co. as seen on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2015, in Scottsdale.

A new beast of concrete and wood off Scottsdale Road called Fate Brewing Co. opened its doors Sunday, easily grabbing the attention of any driver because of how much it stands out compared to the desert-washed buildings around it.

An inviting feeling guides diners along to the entrance, while pops of red-colored chairs direct attention to the waiting area inside the building. The sheer height and warmth of natural light is impressive and takes notes from other brands from the “raw and exposed” aesthetic.

This is a huge change from Fate Brewing Co.'s original, smaller seven-barrel brew house in north Scottsdale to this noticeably bigger fifteen-barrel location. Owner Steve McFate said he decided to move up in size because the original restaurant and brewery couldn’t meet the popular demand it suddenly had to maintain.

“We identified within the first year that we weren’t going to be able to keep up,” McFate said. “We wanted to keep things rotational. We’ve done 170 beers in two and a half years.” 

The result of doubling the brewing capabilities and having extra space in the front of the building for a proper restaurant frees up the stress of figuring out how they will fill taps with beer. Thankfully, the brewing community is a close-knit group of friends who support each other, and McFate really showed affection for these businesses.

“Craft brewers tend to be a close brethren,” he said. “I would say around 90 percent of the community get along which is great. Occasionally, we will have the opportunity to collaborate. It’s finding the time, which is never a bad thing.” 

The public reception to the beer, pizza and food options has been well-received. The restaurant has only been open for barely a week and already patrons like Sahaar Ahmed from Scottsdale have enjoyed multiple visits.  

"I think it's a fun place," she said. "I like the atmosphere and it's a great place to hang out with friends."

All this comes from taking the culture of service and love for beer from Fate Brewing Co.'s first location in North Scottsdale and inserting it into this new south Scottsdale restaurant. Steve Ellefson spoke passionately about maintaining the original concepts of the first brewery.  

"We took everything that Fate North has and transferred it," he said. "We want the synergy to be the same, the culture to be same, the staff to be just as friendly, just bigger."

The summation of about a year's hard work created a giant brew house and an open well-lit restaurant that are making a lot of people excited. From the quality aesthetic to awesome beer and food, any Scottsdale resident will want to show up at Fate Brewery and share a few with friends. 

From Ballast Point to Pumpkin Stouts: The best non-seasonal craft beers of the summer

Pop-up beer garden at Ingo's Tasty Food shows off Phoenix businesses

Reach the reporter at dloche@asu.edu or follow @DMLoche on Twitter.

×