History preserved in Phoenix, one 'Psycho' set at a time

The Barrister building, located on the 100 block of south Central Avenue, has been named a historical site by the city of Phoenix.

Whether or not to bulldoze an old building for a new strip mall is always on landowners' minds. In this case, Phoenix wrestled with an iconic part of its identity: the first scene in the movie "Psycho."  

A mini-crisis arose as the historic Barrister Place building transferred ownership from the city of Phoenix, which once housed some of its offices and the Police Museum, according to an article in The Arizona Republic, to developers looking to renovate it for apartment spaces and storefronts. The important issue at stake was whether to change the historic exterior.

This calls into question a much broader issue that is frequently confronted. How important is the preservation of historical sites? History is what reminds of our past accomplishments and our prior failures. It is fundamental to our existence to remember our achievements in every aspect whether it is arts, entertainment, political, cultural, etc. It calls attention to where we came from and in what direction we are going, and serves as a reminder of our prior accomplishments that can be taken to the next level later on. 

History won't always be remembered if the building is destroyed, and historic sites such as this one should not be demolished in order to become as lucrative as possible.

You can’t put a price on our human history. A great cinematic accomplishment such as "Psycho" needs to be remembered by current and future generations. It can serve as a fun attraction for tourists and citizens as they reminisce on their experiences regarding the exhilarating film while remaining monetarily beneficial as well.

"Psycho" is regarded by many as one of the most iconic horror films of the 20th century. Movie critics agree that its edgy take on a deranged motel owner revolutionized the industry with its success as one of the scariest and most thrilling horror films. 

“What makes 'Psycho' immortal, when so many films are already half-forgotten as we leave the theater, is that it connects directly with our fears: Our fears that we might impulsively commit a crime, our fears of the police, our fears of becoming the victim of a madman, and of course our fears of disappointing our mothers,” according to film critic Roger Ebert.

This high praise is a thought shared by many critics that would place Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" among the best horror-films of all time. Since the original 1960 Psycho film was created, three sequels were created along with an A&E TV series named the Bates Motel that has given the psychotic "Psycho" fans the thrills they seek.

via GIPHY

Because of its acclaim as one of the top horror movies of the 20th century, I felt it was key that the Barrister Place survived this debacle and kept its historic exterior in order to keep a sense of history for one of many great accomplishments that have taken place in Phoenix.

During the debates on what to do with the Barrister building, historical preservationists ensured that their voices were heard. Apparently, they struck a chord the Phoenix city council as the final deal reached between the city of Phoenix and P.B. Bell companies along with Davis Enterprises included a clause that the exterior of the building must retain its historical appearance for the next 25 years.

The assurance that the Barrister Place will keep its historic exterior is a big win for historical preservation in the city of Phoenix and Arizona. Great accomplishments in our human history should always be preserved in some form or fashion to remind of our past achievements.

Reach the columnist at gpaulsoccer@yahoo.com or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

Editor’s note: The opinions presented in this column are the author’s and do not imply any endorsement from The State Press or its editors.Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×