Theaters With Attitude: 'Straight Outta Compton' prompts increased security

This past weekend, "Straight Outta Compton" premiered and all the theaters requested back-up. While some guests were thrilled about these armed additions, many — such as myself — were appalled.

ENTER COMPTON-MOVIE-REVIEW-ADV14 1 TB
Neil Brown Jr., Aldis Hodge, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell and O'Shea Jackson Jr. in 'Straight Outta Compton.' (Photo courtesy Universal Pictures/TNS)

This past weekend, “Straight Outta Compton” premiered and all the theaters requested back-up. While some guests were thrilled about these armed additions, many — such as myself — were appalled.

"Straight Outta Compton" is a movie depicting the struggles of five men as they battle oppression in a multitude of forms to introduce a new form of art. This rap group debuted in the late 1980s as N.W.A, with a sound unlike anything in circulation. The men became quite iconic in the world of hip hop, but this success was not achieved without a great fight. There was ample violence, harassment and police brutality to be overcome — all of which is depicted in the film.

Upon the movie’s release, many theaters believed that such a reiteration of these struggles would illicit anger within audiences and produce riots. As an effort to keep guests safe, many theater chains enlisted local police deputies to stand guard within buildings to maintain order.

This seems very cut and dry: Increased business coupled with an anger-inducing film produces mass violence. But what if it’s not that simple? What if the additional security stems from fear of recent events recreating themselves on theater property? It is no secret that there has been an increase in protests this past year in relation to African-Americans being unfairly represented in the media. 

Black Lives Matter campaigns are begging for America to recognize the unjust prosecutions of police brutality against African-Americans and, in a couple of cases, have resorted to rioting. These incidences are of no classified nature. They are broadcasted, updated and reported upon daily on every local news site available. There is prevalent and obvious fear surrounding racially charged statements and movements. 

Everybody seems to maintain their own opinions of such events. It is important to note, however, that these opinions and fears exist within corporate offices. Within businesses and business owners. Within any institution that coagulates the masses and holds potential for outrage.

If the reason the extra security was enlisted was because theater chains expected riots, and the reason they expected riots was due to outrage within the African-American community, then it is a viable argument that the theater's need for backup was a racially charged movement.

In the locations with additional security detail, many were instructed to stand outside the auditoriums featuring the film. This was an effort to deter people from creating a scene or acting unruly, of course, but this fear tactic appears to be a defensive approach upon non-threatening guests. A guest with malicious intent is not going to be the only one deterred — for that situation reeks of imminent threat and distrust. It is essentially a warning; screaming, “behave…or else!”; the opposite of inviting.

The proper way to deter explicit activity, anger and rioting is not by creating a hostile, fear-ridden environment. It is not by staging a deputy at the door of an auditorium or by placing multiple officer's throughout the building. 

While the intention of such security may have been to provide a sense of safety, they prove to serve as a reminder of our ignorance. As a reminder that we adhere to violence and fear tactics to maintain control.

This is no longer an equation of increased business plus screen violence equals active violence — but an assumption that takes African-Americans, adds a film that depicts oppressed African-Americans and assumes the inevitably of a riot.

But it is also necessary to acknowledge why such security provides this sense of safety. Does their presence provide the illusion of control? Does the immediate assistance the weapons within their holster maintain order? Or does the position they hold within our society create a sense of fear in the pit of your stomach? Or what about the lethal force behind those weapons of destruction — does the fear within them deter you from your unruly behavior? For me, they provide a reminder that our society is fueled by fear. A reminder that even a date to the movies is unsafe. 

Police brutality protests decline, ASU students say issue still important

Combing for contraband: bag checks and their security measures

Reach the columnist at rblumen2@asu.edu or follow @500wordsofrayne on Twitter.

×