Welcome to Camp Tontozona: ASU football's newcomers describe the annual tradition

Several Sun Devils are making their first trip to "Camp T"

Lucien Camp T
Redshirt senior Wide Receiver Devin Lucien shares a moment with a young fan after practice at Camp Tontozona Thursday August 13, 2015. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

CAMP TONTOZONA, Ariz. -- ASU football's annual visit to Camp Tontozona has been one of its most cherished traditions since its inception in 1960 under former coach Frank Kush.

After a brief hiatus, the tradition has continued under current coach Todd Graham.

The trip does not allow technology and limits connections to the outside world in order to encourage bonding and family amongst the team. It also allows fans the unique experience to watch their team in person in a "Field of Dreams"-like setup.

Several players, including captain and starting quarterback Mike Bercovici, have fond memories of their time at "Camp T" and have said the event has morphed their college careers. 

Here are what some of the newcomers to Camp Tontozona had to say about their experience this year.

Freshman quarterback Brady White

"The first night was great. We got in (Tuesday) and when I got off the bus I said, 'This place is beautiful.' I love this atmosphere. I love this setting. It's good to have this team bonding stuff last night, and we'll have more of it throughout the week. I'm looking forward to every day of Camp T."

Redshirt junior wide receiver Tim White (junior college transfer)

"It's been great. We have campfires and everything and we sit down and we talk. We bond with everybody. It's a really great experience."

Redshirt senior wide receiver Devin Lucien (UCLA graduate transfer)

"It's definitely a family (at ASU). I haven't felt anything like this since I was at Crespi (High School in Encino, Calif.) and that was an all-boys school."

"I was just telling a fan, 'It's beautiful out here.' I love it."

Redshirt junior running back De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes (junior college transfer)

"I can tell the support is very big out here and that's something special about this ASU program. You've got a lot of support and fans that's willing to come 1,000 miles to see you play and perform."

"It's definitely a great experience. Going camping, walking Mount Kush, this environment out here was a little different for me but definitely special. Coming out here, you're really embracing the brotherhood. We all made a deal that we were going to leave our phones behind and just get to know each other."

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×