7 ways to remember 9/11 in the Valley

Friday marks 14 years since the attacks on Washington D.C. and New York City.

US Army Sergeant Major Aaron Buelow looks down at the thousands of flags scattered across Tempe Beach Park in Tempe, AZ on Thursday, Sept. 11, 2014. (Photo by Jonathan Williams)

It has been 14 years since the attacks on New York City and Washington D.C. claimed innocent lives. This is a short list of the many free memorial events available across the Valley on Sept. 11.

Healing fields memorial in Tempe

Photo by Aaron Lavinsky | The State Press

Three thousand flags will once again paint Tempe Beach Park from Sept. 10 to 15, memorializing the victims' deaths of Sept. 11. This year will mark the 12th annual Healing Fields memorial. Tempe Beach Park is located at 80 W. Rio Salado Pkwy in Tempe.

9/11 memorial ceremony in Phoenix in City Hall

Photo by Alexis Macklin | The State Press

As an annual memorial service, Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski, Phoenix police and fire chiefs will be present as their honor guards perform a bell ceremony and "Amazing Grace."  Phoenix City Hall is located at 200 W. Washington St. in Phoenix.

Permanent Memorial in Phoenix

On September 6, 2011, Janet Napolitano supported the construction of this memorial at Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza near the capitol. The circular memorial has messaged etched into it, revealing messaged when sunlight shines through. Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza is located at 205 S. 17 Ave. in Phoenix.

Chandler Fire Department memorial

In September of 2012, a 9/11 memorial was created at Chandler Fire Department headquarters. A piece of the World Trade center, a 417 pound I-beam is supported by two steel girders attached to a pentagon-shaped base. Chandler Fire Department Headquarters is located at 151 E. Boston St. in Chandler.

A Night of Remembrance in Casa Grande Park

At 6:30 p.m. in Casa Grande Peart Park, a memorial service will be held. Students from local schools and guest speakers will perform for attendees. Peart Park is located at 350 E. 6 St. in Gilbert. 

9/11 Memorial Ceremony in Gilbert

An 8-foot steel girder from the north tower of the World Trade Center stands near Gilbert Town hall. The names of the victims are engraved into the granite walls of the memorial. Visitors are encouraged to touch the beam and visit the memorial on Sept. 11 and any other day of the year. Gilbert Town Hall is located at 50 E. Civic Center Drive in Gilbert.

9/11 Pancake Breakfast in Goodyear

Once again, the Goodyear Fire Station will host its annual Memorial Pancake Breakfast. A short ceremony takes place at 7:30 a.m. followed by the breakfast at 8 a.m. This year's theme is "unity," in an effort to focus on the rebuilding of communities across the United States. The Goodyear Fire Station is located at 3075 N. Litchfield Road in Goodyear.

×