ABOR chair Mark Killian resigns, effective Thursday

ABOR Outreach
(From left to right) Student Regent Mark Naufel, Chair Mark Killian, Vice Chair Jay Heiler and ASU President Michael Crow, Monday, Apr. 20th, 2015, at The Turquoise Room in the MU in Tempe. Arizona Board of Regents had a meeting for an interactive discussion about raising tuition at ASU, U of A, and NAU.

Arizona Board of Regents chair Mark Killian announced his resignation effective Thursday, Oct. 1 on Tuesday, according to an ABOR press release

Killian was recently appointed by Gov. Doug Ducey as director of the Arizona Department of Agriculture and most recently served as treasurer of the board, according to the press release. 

In a resignation letter to Ducey tweeted out by Arizona Republic reporter Yvonne Wingett Sanchez, Killian wrote that serving under ABOR was a blessing to his life. 

"We have three of the most outstanding institutions of higher learning anywhere in the country," he wrote.

Read More: President Michael Crow receives $150,000 merit bonus. 

Killian also thanked former Gov. Jan Brewer for giving him the opportunity to serve ABOR in his letter. 

Under Killian's leadership, the board updated its strategic plan that includes a proposal of a financial relationship with the university system to support Arizona students, according to the press release. 

At last week's Board of Regents meeting, Killian helped approve a state funding model for fiscal year 2017 and an operating budget for the 2016 legislative agenda, according to the press release. 

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow @kelciegrega on Twitter. 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×