Four goals ASU football needs to achieve against New Mexico

How ASU can turn around a sluggish start before opening Pac-12 play

Wide receiver Devin Lucien snags a pass during a game against visiting Cal Poly at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. ASU beat Cal Poly 35-21 in their season opener.

ASU concludes its nonconference schedule against New Mexico Friday night against a more versatile rendition of the triple option. There are a few key areas the Sun Devils should put an emphasis on improving to quell some of the questions about last week's performance against Cal Poly.

Vertical Passing Game

For a team the runs a spread offense lining up numerous receivers bunched together wide or evenly along the line of scrimmage, ASU has not been able to attack opponents vertically in their first two games this year.   

The Sun Devil offense was so dangerous last year by running inside zone gaining chunks of yards, then using the quick passing game to utilize the space created between slot receivers and running backs being covered by linebackers, then finally hitting the split-end or flanker with one-on-one coverage down the field for huge gains.   

Defensive-minded New Mexico coach Bob Davie may counter by playing his safeties down toward to the line of scrimmage, putting even more pressure on the run game and quick passing attack and daring the ASU offense to air it out past the first down marker.    

Physicality on the Offensive Line

The offensive line has not had a good start to the 2015 campaign.  This flaw in ASU was evident from the first possession in Houston, when Bercovici was sacked by Myles Garrett on a run/throw option from the second play from scrimmage. Garrett imposed his will throughout, and Bercovici was sacked nine times by the Aggies.

Texas A&M, for the most part, only used four down linemen to get so much pressure on Bercovici in the pocket.  

Initially replacing both tackles to start the year will be tough against two of the nation's highest recruited defensive ends, but Cal Poly was able to break the pocket more than one would expect against a FCS opponent. 

Pass protection has been a sore subject in the first two games, but so has run blocking on obvious running downs. 

Inside the Cal Poly 10-yard line, ASU had 5 rushes that amounting to -2 yards in the second half.  

Middle Triangle and Stopping the Run

What frustrated ASU the most last Saturday? Probably the triple option attack of Cal Poly, keeping the game close and keeping the ASU defense on the field.  

ASU lost two linebackers to injury against Cal Poly, and the defensive tackle and nose were ineffective in stuffing the B-gaps, allowing Cal Poly's Joe Protheroe, to record 130 yards on the ground on 28 attempts.

The middle triangle of inside linebackers and defensive tackles have to control the game stopping the first read by blowing up the point of attack against the center and guard combo blocking the nose tackle.

The defensive ends had a tough night against Cal Poly, because the middle triangle could not shed their blockers to help cancel out the first read on the triple option. 

The good news for ASU is the Lobos had a hard time making the dive work against Tulsa.  The Sun Devil middle triangle has an opportunity to exploit this internal weakness of the New Mexico ground game.

Consistency

The narrative in the short season so far has been one part of the team struggling during a particular period of the game while the other stands out in comparison.   

ASU jumped out to a 21-7 lead late in the 2nd quarter against Cal Poly, but a Kody Kohl fumble led to Cal Poly driving the short field and score right before halftime.  

Cal Poly took the second half kickoff and methodically marched down the field again to tie the game 21-21. 

In a five minute period of the game, ASU went from comfortably controlling an FCS opponent to reaching peak #Pac12AfterDark.

The defense held firm the rest of the game, allowing 85 yards the rest of the game on 35 plays, but on a larger scale it sums up the lapses ASU has had this season.  

Reach the reporter at brian.w.carroll@asu.edu or follow @biggs_carroll on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×