Instant recap: ASU 7, No. 19 USC 42

Sun Devils can't put a dent in the Trojan's big halftime lead

USC fullback Soma Vainuku (31) reacts after a missed field goal by Arizona State Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

After a 28-point second quarter for USC, the second half featured much less fireworks as the Trojans finished off a 42-14 rout of the Sun Devils.

Down by 35 points at the start of the second half, it took the ASU until less than two minutes remained in the third quarter to record its first points of the game on a one-yard touchdown run from sophomore running back Demario Richard.

Things were ugly throughout for the Sun Devils in a game that was reminiscent of last year's home rout at the hands of the UCLA Bruins. The most turnovers ASU had in a single game last year was four, coming against the Bruins. 

The Sun Devils matched that turnover total in the first half, coughing up three fumbles and tacking on a Mike Bercovici interception which gifted USC a commanding 35-0 halftime lead.

USC got off to a slow start in the second half, beginning the third quarter with a fumble and two punts on its first three drives but with a five touchdown lead, the Trojans didn't need much offensive production to put the game away.

Cody Kessler found Whitney Isaac wide open in the end zone with almost 11 minutes left in the game for a touchdown that for all intents and purposes served as the final nail in ASU's coffin.

The one silver lining of the rout for ASU was it's solid run game throughout, especially in the second half when Richard was tasked with carrying the otherwise stagnant offense.

Richard, who nearly topped 200 yards in last week's game against New Mexico, rushed __ times for 131 yards and the Sun Devils averaged 5.2 yards per rush.

The sophomore added his second touchdown of the half with eight minutes remaining, finding the end zone from four yards out to cut the score to 42-14.

Kessler left the game after that scoring drive, replaced by backup quarterback Max Browne. Kessler finished with 375 yards passing and five touchdowns.

In comparison, Bercovici threw for 272 yards and no touchdowns while tossing an interception and losing a fumble.

ASU's last attempt to make the game respectable came with three and a half minutes remaining on a fourth down play from the USC 20-yard line. Bercovici threw it up to receiver Tim White in the end zone but the pass sailed high and the Sun Devils turned the ball over on downs.

From there the Trojans ran out the clock to close out the game.

Second-half Notes

• DJ Foster tied ASU's all-time school record for consecutive games with a reception at 44 straight games.
  • ASU had not been shut out in the first half in two seasons. The team's last first-half shutout came in 2013 against Stanford when the Cardinal led 29-0 at halftime.
  • Kalen Ballage, who missed the first three games with mononucleosis, had nine carries for 30 yards in his season debut.

Reach the assistant sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×