Class of 2017 LHP Brendan Murphy commits to ASU baseball

The Illinois native with a three-pitch arsenal commits to the Sun Devils

Tracy Smith Long Beach State
ASU baseball coach Tracy Smith looks over the field before a game against Long Beach State on Saturday, March 7, 2015 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

Class of 2017 LHP Brendan Murphy announced on Sunday via Twitter that he has committed to play baseball at ASU. 

Murphy's fastball is in the 93rd percentile of 2017 recruits at 86 MPH, according to Perfect Game USA, a widely-known scouting website. He also throws a curveball and a changeup to round out his arsenal. 

The 6-4, 190-pound native of Mundelein, Illinois, can also play first base. As they do with all recruits, perfectgame.org measured a few of his hitting metrics with the Zepp test. Murphy scored in the 99th percentile of 2017 recruits in bat speed and hand speed, and in the 95th percentile in the time to impact. 

In addition, prepbaseballreport.com ranked him No. 15 among 2017 recruits from Illinois. 

Along with being the ace on his Mundelein Cons High School team, Murphy is also a part of the Cincinnati Reds Midwest scout team. 

He is ASU's fifth commit from the class of 2017. 

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter 

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×