After many years of trolls sharing inaccurate facts to Facebook statuses featuring cat videos and memes, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is giving the people what they want — a dislike button feature.

During a Q&A session held in Menlo Park, California at Facebook’s headquarters, Zuckerberg announced the feature that both Internet creepers and best friends alike look forward to using in the future.

Although Zuckerberg has ignored the request of creating a dislike button for some time, he understands that some emotional posts are not all puppy photos and awkward high school homecoming photos. Its purpose is to allow users to send a sense of sympathy toward their Facebook friend.

In a digital world that makes it easy to bring down a person by disliking their status, here are five view points by Sun Devils on the new Facebook feature.  

Kineseolgy junior Carmlina Sandoval

Kineseology junior Carmlina Sandoval poses for photo on Sept. 17, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I think it's awesome because there's a lot of stupid s--t on Facebook.  It's one thing to comment and think this is dumb. Then you see how many likes there are and know there would be so many more dislikes for something like that. YouTube has stuff like this and other places so it makes sense that Facebook would make one."

Social work sophomore Bryan Lietz

Social work sophomore Bryan Lietz posed for a photo on Sept. 17, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan)

"It sounds like Yik Yak. I don't think people will use it like it's meant to be used. They will use it to put down posts. I think it will bring more publicity to Facebook and bring more users back. It was a smart decision for (Zuckerberg)."

Journalism freshman Sophia Fredy

Journalism freshman Sophia Fredy poses for a picture on Sept. 17, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan)

"It reminds me of on YouTube where you can dislike something. Its kind of sad, kind of negative. I feel like it might cause a lot of miscommunication, people will question the dislike and others will feel bad."

Criminal justice and criminology senior Jordan Dean

Criminal justice and criminology senior Jordan Dean posed for a photo on Sept. 17, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan)

"I thought they already had a dislike button and they got rid of it. If I am on, I won't use it. If people want to show sympathy they should just use emoji faces."

Criminal justice and psychology senior Stephany Torres

Criminal justice and psychology senior Stephany Torres poses for a photo on Sept. 17, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan)

"I feel like that's just going to start a whole bullying tactic. It's giving people the right to tell others, 'Hey, I don't like what you're posting'. Personally I wouldn't use it. I don't feel like everyone is going to use it the way its intended. (Zuckerberg) has the right intentions but everyone else is going to misuse it. It's just like when social media started, people created cyberbullying. It was for something positive and they just changed everything. I feel like it's going to happen and ruin everything for everyone."

Tell the reporter what you think about the Facebook dislike feature at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×