The I-10 shooting might be someone's version of a cruel joke

Interstate 10
Interstate 10 is seen at 3rd Street in downtown Phoenix on Thursday, Sept. 17, 2015. I-10 has seen 11 confirmed reports of bullets and other projectiles striking cars on the highway since Aug. 29 of this year.

Having lived in the suburbs of Phoenix for most of my life, I haven't been exposed to a lot of crime. I haven't even witnessed petty crimes of theft or vandalism, and, until recently, considered most of Arizona to be a relatively harmonious place in comparison to many states. However, the events occurring over the last three weeks on the Interstate-10 have tainted my feeling of safety in this place we all call home.

As a kid, I took the I-10 to soccer games, to shopping malls, to waterparks — without ever questioning my safety. Now, as an adult, I take the I-10 to outlet malls, to school, and work with concern. I can't help but wonder if this valley-wide crisis is some sick hoax.

Eleven shootings, and various reports of projectiles, have been confirmed. While many Phoenix dwellers cannot afford to omit the usage of the I-10, the lane-to-lane tension is certainly high. Maybe it’s the uncertainty that terrifies our residents and inspires civilians, like the Bolt Force, to band together in defense of us all. Either way, drivers cannot help but keep their head on swivel, praying that their cars and their children, will not be one of the next random targets.

The media and police departments have alluded to the potential that a single individual may not have carried out these events, and that there is great likelihood that “copy cats” have taken the liberty of joining in the disruption. It has also been considered that recent gang inflammation could be to blame, but in my opinion, even that could be a more comforting concept than the one I cannot allow myself to ignore.

There is a chance that this menace, alone or not, is truly seeking personal entertainment in their potentially lethal endeavors. Think about it: these events were seemingly impulsive, and while they haven't been caught, they don't seem to be masterfully planned. Aside from the randomness, none of the shootings have been lethal, and while that is a blessing in itself, if they intended to harm people, why are they shooting at empty backseats and shuttles?

It appears to me that this perpetrator is fueling some type of sick, psychotic desire to cause public discomfort. They are targeting an area so many people have never even thought twice about, an area so many people drive redundantly through without even recognizing the cars around them, in absolute effort to reek the most havoc. By evoking fear and anxiety correlating to people’s habitual routes, this criminal will leave a legacy behind. The media has blown the individual events up so largely, that no one can even attempt to push the danger out of their minds. This criminal has evaded all local news stations, and we have allowed them to control our commutes, our thoughts, and our conversations.

Whoever this may be is not only demented, but a coward. Hiding behind slew of midday torment, targeting innocent bystanders of their psychotic, unidentifiable motives. It is safe to say that Arizona will be a better place when his or her reign is finally put to rest.

ASU shuttles urged to avoid I-10

How to avoid the I-10 between campuses

Reach the columnist at krpenningroth@gmail.com or follow @KPenningroth on Twitter.

×