Pepper Spray Culture

pepper spray

Pepper Spray Culture

Time and again, one hears stories about sexual harassment on college campuses. These incidents happen all over the country and the world, and Arizona State University is no stranger to sexual violence. So, what are students doing to keep themselves safe on campus? 

About 7.8 percent of female ASU students and 3.6 percent of ASU male students have reported that they sexual touching against their will in the previous year, according to the university. 

How are ASU ladies combatting these statistics? They are carrying pepper spray. 

Though none report having to use it on campus, several ASU students who were asked carry pepper spray along with their daily school supplies. One freshman says that her mom bought her pepper spray as a Valentine’s Day present a few years ago. Another says that her boyfriend got it for her before school started. Another freshman claims that she bought it for herself because her classes are on the Downtown campus.

ASU does have a relatively strict weapon policy that prohibits certain chemical defense sprays meant for law enforcement; but any over-the-counter pepper spray and even knives less than five inches in blade are completely OK. Key-chains with cute little pink or black canisters of pepper spray are becoming somewhat of a fashion statement. After all, what’s not to love about outfits that scream “Hey, I’m not a victim”?

As it turns out, pepper spray can be very easy to conceal. There’s a style for just about everyone, most of which range from about $10 to $20, and are allowed at school. Pepper spray comes in many different forms. This also includes gel, if spray isn’t a good fit.

For those who love to accessorize, pepper spray can be found bedazzled on a keychain or wallet. It can be part of a phone case. It can be disguised as a perfume bottle. It can even be disguised as a tube of lipstick. For the not-so-girly, pepper spray comes in a pen, a small impact weapon, a baton or a bottle that doubles as an alarm. More practical styles for athletes include spray that attaches to a hand strap, an arm band, or a bike strap. The plain pepper spray can be found at Target, and variations of the more creative styles can be found at safetygirl.com, sabre.com, Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods. Some of these also sell “drink test kits” meant to detect certain substances that don’t belong in beverages.

Believe it or not, there is more to pepper spray than pushing a button. There are a few different strategies designed to make pepper spray more effective on the attacker and less harmful to the defender. However, learning how to properly use pepper spray is not as popular as carrying it around campus. One Sun Devil on the Downtown Campus states that she hasn’t practiced with hers because she heard that it can get in the eyes. Other students say they would like to practice, but wouldn't know where to do so. 

The main goal of practicing with pepper spray is just to get a hang of using it. So, self-practice is a good idea. With the instruction manual or a YouTube video for guidance, try out the pepper spray on an inanimate target. For those uncomfortable with spraying real pepper spray before they absolutely need to, some sprays come with a water cartridge especially for practice. Practice cartridges are also available separately for purchase. For group or more in-depth training, Sabre provides a course specializing in college safety. Contact information for certified instructors of the course can be found on their website.

As far as campus fashion trends go, this has got to be one of the more sensible. Not that there’s anything wrong with yoga pants or pilot shades, but if this one continues, Arizona State may see those sexual harassment percentages drop substantially. 

×