You can't save the world and keep the U.S. safe at the same time, Obama

WORLD NEWS EUROPE-MIGRANTS-GREECE 4 WA
Zain Al Abadin, 5, who has been unable to walk for over two years since he was severely injured by shrapnel in Syria, sits in the courtyard of a low-budget hotel in Izmir, Turkey, where he and his father await a chance to reach Greece by boat on Sept. 3, 2015. This year, some 220,000 war refugees and economic migrants have arrived in Greece from Turkey and other Mediterranean jumping off points, according to U.N. figures.

On Sunday, Secretary of State John Kerry announced that the Obama administration will be implementing its own plan to take care of the refugees fleeing from the chaos in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and various other unstable countries.

“This step that I am announcing today, I believe, is in keeping with the best tradition of America as a land of second chances and a beacon of hope,” Kerry said, adding that it “will be accompanied by additional financial contributions,” according to The New York Times.

This relief effort step will consist of the Obama administration increasing the original number of worldwide refugees that America accepts each year from the current 70,000 to 100,000 by the conclusion of 2017, according to the The New York Times.

While America may be the strongest nation out there, it is certainly no utopia. These 100,000 immigrants are not going to simply blend into our job markets, our laws or our innovative and progressive society.

However, here is what they will blend into: our welfare system.

I would love to ask Obama and his administration just who is going to pay for the housing of these refugees? Who is going to pay to build housing for these refugees? How will they be supplied with food, and who will pay for that? When refugee children attend our public schools, who will be paying for their school lunches? 

These children have grown up in a world that American youth could not even fathom, so who will be paying for the counseling that will be needed for refugee children to successfully integrate without harming American classmates? Who will pay for them to simply adjust to our culture?

Middle-class America is already being stretched far enough with the current American citizens that are already flooding in and, oftentimes, taking advantage of the welfare system.

There are middle-class parents who are working beyond measures to make ends meet and send their children to college, so that they can get jobs. Has Obama and his administration bothered to ask them how they feel about having to not only carrying the weight of their fellow citizens, but of these refugees too?

Those refugee children will grow up, and even if many of them become highly educated and contribute to American society, they would still be a burden. As great as more contribution sounds, here’s the problem: America does not have enough jobs for college graduates as it is.

Don’t even get me started on the security risk that all American citizens will be subjected to by the Obama administration.

It appears that I am not the only one with my fair share of concerns either.

“All of the nearly 200,000 refugees the administration is planning to bring over the next two years would be entitled to these same benefits the moment they arrive. Since we are running huge deficits, every penny of these billions in costs will have to be borrowed and added to the debt,” Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama) said, according to Breitbart News.

Sessions points out a legitimate, alarming concern: safety. How is the Obama administration and the President himself going to play savior and still be able to do the sole job of protecting and securing the American people? With the self-proclaimed Islamic State group making their intentions to harm Americans undoubtedly clear, what is to stop them from infiltrating the refugee groups who Obama will bring into our country?

Presidential candidate and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told an Iowa public television station that he had concerns that refugees may be aligned with the Islamic State, according to the Washington Post.

"I think the president's proposal is nothing short of crazy," Cruz said. "We do not need to be bringing in tens of thousands of Muslim refugees from Syria,” according to the Washington Post.

Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Texas), chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, shares similar safety concerns.

“Many Americans are understandably concerned about the threat posed by inadequate security screening procedures,” McCaul, said in a statement according to Fox News.

Once again, this is just Obama and his administration shoving illogical and costly plans down the throats of U.S. citizens at the expense of the working class. This might as well be round two of Obamacare. 

Role of foreign policy in a constantly connected world

Obama doctrine is best option for U.S. foreign policy

Reach the columnist at alexisberdine@aol.com or follow her on Twitter @AlexisBerdine

×