A new chapter for the Tempe Public Library

Tempe Public Library
Giant lettering encourages patrons to journey into other areas of the Tempe Public Library on Monday, Sept. 28, 2015.

The Tempe Public Library is looking to re-evaluate, rebrand and refresh its services and the way it is viewed by the community in hopes of catering to a larger audience.

Since the early 1900s, the Tempe Public Library has served its community with a multitude of resources for people of all ages to "explore, discover, enrich and engage."

However, Barbara Roberts, the library's deputy director of community services, said the library could expand its outreach.

Roberts said one problem is how the library can provide services that cater to customers of all ages.

"With the whole technology age, libraries, for the last five to ten years, have been trying to figure out what our real purpose is now," Roberts said. "In some people's minds, (libraries) are simply not needed anymore because of the Internet."

Roberts said the Tempe Public Library is in a strategic planning stage for its next chapter. 

The library hosted an open town hall meeting on Sept. 2 to get feedback from community members. It plans on reaching out to certain focus groups like teachers, small business owners and teenagers to make sure they are meeting their needs.

Roberts said the whole idea of the library's new plan is to change into "an active dynamic place for networking and technology." 

For now, Roberts said the library is entertaining the idea of coding classes, media literacy classes for younger children and longer operation hours for those who can't make it between their 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. schedule. 

Kristin Olafsdottir, a member of ASU's Book Group and a master's student in sustainable tourism, said she would appreciate extended hours of operation. With two children, a full-time job and a loaded class schedule, Olafsdottir said she isn't happy with the library's limiting schedule.

"They've been changing their hours a lot," Olafsdottir said. "It's hard some days to get there after work and actually be able to spend time in the library."

Like Olafsdottir, biology junior Kaitlynn Tennant finds it tough to go to the public library during its scheduled hours. 

"(The library) does close in the evenings, so I typically can't go during the week," Tennant said. 

Tennant also said the distance of Tempe Public Library can inhibit students without cars from going. 

"It's too far to really walk or bike," Tennant said. "I never went before I got a car. I don't hang out there because it feels like a time commitment."

Tennant first visited the library to look for casual reading material, something that ASU libraries don't offer. She said ASU's libraries are great resources for scholarly work and research, but aren't equipped with novels for leisurely reading. 

"Our libraries are great resources, but they are very scholarly and don't have much in the way of fiction," Tennant said.

Digital Bookmobile visits Tempe Public Library

Tempe Public Library hosts writing contest, invites ASU students to participate

Reach the reporter at ambice@asu.edu or follow @alliebice on Twitter.

×