The EDGE: ASU football looks to get back on track against Cal Poly

After a season-opening loss to Texas A&M, does ASU hold the advantage over Cal Poly?

Video by Fabian Ardaya | Sports Reporter

Quarterbacks

Edge: ASU

Redshirt senior Mike Bercovici needs a big game against Cal Poly, if not to prove that all the preseason hype was worthwhile but also to prove that ASU's offense can perform even remotely close to expectations. If he does what he needs to against the Mustangs, he should exceed his week one passing total of 199 yards in the first half alone.

Cal Poly quarterback Chris Brown has done a solid job at running the triple-option offense, including having 130 yards rushing last week against Montana, but should not even compare to Bercovici after Saturday night.

Running backs

Edge: ASU

Cal Poly certainly has a strong rushing attack through the triple option, but all eyes will be on ASU sophomore Demario Richard in this game. He didn't perform poorly (16 carries, 73 yards and a fumble) against Texas A&M, but Richard and the rest of the running back group will need to establish the inside run and assert their dominance against a lesser FCS opponent.

Wide receivers

Edge: ASU

Spoiler alert — Cal Poly's defensive backs are not nearly as athletic as Texas A&M's. The Aggies were physical in coverage all game last week, as no receiver really managed to get much separation or created a lane for Bercovici to throw. ASU will look at redshirt junior De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes, redshirt senior Devin Lucien and the newly-healthy Tim White to stretch the field against the Mustangs.

Offensive line

Edge: ASU

ASU's two offensive tackles — redshirt junior Evan Goodman and redshirt senior Billy McGehee — looked downright putrid as the offensive line gave up nine sacks to Texas A&M. Saturday should be a confidence-builder for this bunch however, and the interior offensive line will set the tone for the tackles to get comfortable and for the offense to progress.

Defensive line

Edge: ASU

The biggest defensive surprise of the game Saturday was arguably junior defensive lineman Ami Latu, who dominated the line of scrimmage from the first snap on and allowed the Sun Devils to get pressure on the Aggies all game. Redshirt senior Demetrius Cherry recovered a fumble in the game, and sophomore Tashon Smallwood and freshman JoJo Wicker continue to adapt and improve.

Linebackers

Edge: ASU

Christian Sam was another player who impressed in ASU's season opener, forcing the first turnover of the season with a strip sack of A&M quarterback Kyle Allen to help ASU get on the board and being a force athletically. Redshirt junior Laiu Moeakiola has managed to stay healthy, and the rest of the group appears to be rounding into form. ASU may also get some help at "Devilbacker," as redshirt freshman Ismael Murphy-Richardson returns from a one-game suspension.

Defensive backs

Edge: ASU

ASU's secondary performed as advertised against Texas A&M, bottling up an explosive offense for most of the night while intercepting two passes (Kweishi Brown, Jordan Simone). Sophomore Armand Perry was solid in his first game as a starter outside of a busted assignment that led to an Aggies touchdown. Against Cal Poly, Simone and Perry could very well see themselves down in the box for most of the night and not be involved much in coverage.

Special teams

Edge: ASU

ASU's special teams will get better under Shawn Slocum. They just haven't yet. Some of the positives (a decent job in the return game) were instantly overrun by negatives (punt return allowed for a touchdown, a roughing the punter penalty). If they're at least decent on Saturday, ASU will be in decent shape moving forward.

Overall

Edge: ASU

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×